SAU Community

Craved's Fabrication

Craved

Finally purchased my own TIG machine after borrowing one for a few months, so hopefully with time permitting i'll be able to get into making alot more stuff.

First up is the new exhaust manifold, after working with a mate at my other work we 3D modelled the 6 into 1 merge collector in Inventor. Split that down and make a flat template or the cuts for each collector.

unfortunately i didnt take pics along the way but with a hand grinder i've cut out and welded up the collector - its not perfect, unfortunately, but it should still flow much better than the china stainless manifold im using at the moment.

i'll work on making up a JIG to cut them out accurately when time permits. just had to test it out.

post-5157-0-15521100-1319338292_thumb.jpg

post-5157-0-70872700-1319338293_thumb.jpg

post-5157-0-31187500-1319338295_thumb.jpg

post-5157-0-46198800-1319338296_thumb.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha exactly.

that flange in the first 2 shots i drew up in CAD and cut on the CNC plasma at work, so thats pretty handy too

got some spare if anyone needs a T25 flange

Nice work Chris. Do you have a mill handy? When I made my collector I used an indexing head/chuck and angled the head whatever degree merge it was I wanted. Actually I think it was about half of what I wanted. Cant remember now lol.

What merge angle did you run with? Around 15-18 degrees?

And no, no mill to work with.

i did try to work out a way to use a drop saw, but there is not really any way to hold the piece at the angles needed to collect 6 pipes.

thanks mate,

i was originally going to buy a 6boost and just get it done, but i just spent that money on the TIG instead as that was a better use of funds/investment :P

Yeah I bought my tig 3 months ago and it's already paid for itself so I can see what you mean will be following this closely to see how it turns out cause u have inspired me :-)

once u make ur jig what do u plan on making the manifold out of ?

Just steam pipe?

Yeah would be interesting to see what sort of prices you have to pay to do it yourself ;-)

And is there any reason ur using butt joins instead of beveled? Would get a nicer stronger weld with beveled

But just curios not criticizing :-)

All the best with it

Yeah would be interesting to see what sort of prices you have to pay to do it yourself ;-)

And is there any reason ur using butt joins instead of beveled? Would get a nicer stronger weld with beveled

But just curios not criticizing :-)

All the best with it

Butt weld elbows are already beveled

as GTR81 said, the bends are bevelled, i'll prob radius the ends of the straight tube before i weld it up too

not sure when i'll get it finished, next step is working out where i want the turbo to sit. this will be going on my 26/30 which im still building so i'll have to find some references to help me position the turbo

trying to build it all out of the car then drop it all in in one go.

When I did mine, I tacked up the turbo flange with some rods to hold it where it needed to be so it cleared strut tower and what not when in the bat. Once that was done the rest was done out of the car on a dummy head. I did have to test fit it a few times during tacking of the runners to ensure clearance and whatnot, once that was good it was go for gold!

One thing I did learn was once you have everything tacked up and you are about to start welding it all, make sure you have a good solid base mounting plate for the head flange to bolt to so it doesnt want to warp. Say some 100x100x6mm wall. Then try and tig as much as you can while its all fully tacked up, except where it meets the flange and collector. Then break off the tacks holding the runners to the collector and flange and finish them off and then refit them and weld them on in such an order as you dont stuff yourself for access to other areas.

I may or may not have made some silly mistakes like that when I made mine, but hopefully you can learn from that!

Hopefully your manifold will turn out alot better then mine mate!

^^^^ some good ideas there r33 racer ...

Even tho you bolted the main flange down did it still warp a lil??? did u have to get I machined flat at all or we're u good to go ?

Do u u have pics mate ?

The more and more I talk with u boys bout it the more I wanna DO IT :-)