SAU Community

Engineering Certificates

DoLphiN

hi,

I need some assistance with regard to getting an engineerng cert for my skyline modofications. i called up an engineering company and he told me i hv to get an initial inspection and report which costs me $375. from that initial report he will be able to quote another price to carry out the certification process and let me know what needs to be certified. I just feel that i m being overly charged here. Since i m new here in sydney, i wonder if anyone knows how to go about this and getting the best quote from an engineering company.

Thnaks heaps

Nizam

1) exhaust system from turbo back to canon.

2) front mount intercooler.

3) after market air filter

4) ajustable suspension.

5) after market steering wheel..

i can provide pic of the engine if need..any help is much appreciated

put the standard airbox back in, no gain to be had by a pod filter, exhaust...well so long as it is legal noise wise there is no issue.

Height Adjustable suspension will never technically be legal so I'm not sure an Engineer will be able to help...however I may be wrong (nb car with adjustable suspension from factory is a totally different ball game to aftermarket stuff)

Aftermarket wheel...is it ADR approved? If not then I'm not sure the engineer will be able to help with that either.

Only thing is the front mount, should be able to engineer that, providing the engineer deems it safe (i.e you haven't hacked the reo to pieces)

Ring Autosport Engineering, ask for Greg 95211388, tell him the SAUNSW guys referred you to him. You'd get a discount if you were a club member, but I see that you're not a current member.

A number of club members have had their cars engineered through him including myself and it's a painless process using Greg unless you've got some V8 twin turbo sort of conversion going on, but in saying that, as long as it passes emissions and the power to weight ratio and engine size ratio it should pass.

For any specific questions best to ask the person who knows instead of people on here as you'll get a lot of incorrect information who are guessing or havnt been through the process themselves.

Expect to spend somewhere around the $1000 mark give or take a couple of hundred depending on mods to the car. An inspection should be free to tell you whats passable and what is not, so whoever it trying for $375 seems a bit rich to me.

Ring Autosport Engineering, ask for Greg 95211388, tell him the SAUNSW guys referred you to him. You'd get a discount if you were a club member, but I see that you're not a current member.

A number of club members have had their cars engineered through him including myself and it's a painless process using Greg unless you've got some V8 twin turbo sort of conversion going on, but in saying that, as long as it passes emissions and the power to weight ratio and engine size ratio it should pass.

For any specific questions best to ask the person who knows instead of people on here as you'll get a lot of incorrect information who are guessing or havnt been through the process themselves.

Expect to spend somewhere around the $1000 mark give or take a couple of hundred depending on mods to the car. An inspection should be free to tell you whats passable and what is not, so whoever it trying for $375 seems a bit rich to me.

hi,

i have recently applied to become a member during the last drift event at nirimba, but my member ship will only activated next year..

thnks for the info

I payed $980 for a car with about 15 mods on engine, suspension, brakes, seats, roll cage, diff mod, wheels, money well spent.

Be aware that it still has to be legal, i.e no Atmo BOV, no turbo timer, needs a air box.

haha nice, I will get my car done here in Canberra when its finished I think....not that there is much point..just renew rego every year..no inspections even if it sits unregistered for 12 months or more.

I <3 ACT rego...better than QLD

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

Good read if you have a few hours handy

Lol just reading the engine part again now

All vehicles originally weighing

more than 1100 kg.

NA Engines

Original mass (kg) x 5.0

= max. capacity in cc’s

Turbo

Original mass (kg) x 3.0

= max. capacity in cc’s

I can run a 4.8L Turbo engine in the Soarer legally :D

No mate, a guy that UNIGROUP knew.

LOL, he had a Tarago 4WD with 600,000k on it.

That'd be John Wilson, akz vehicle engineering, his crazy traveling Around everyday from quenbean.

Same guy 90% of the east coast workshops use including Autosport.

According to this I have a green VW convertible, and I dont need padding on the half cage, I will leave the padding on there because I always bash my head on it when Im trying to drag stuff (fishing gear/tyres) out of there.

LOL Thats who I was planning on getting mine through.

Well good to know he is recommended...and only 15 mins from my house :nyaanyaa:

John can be a little strange to deal with at times but always comes through and covers everything.

He did my GTR 32 and R34 the other week.

He owns almost every "engineering" domain thing on the internet so regardless of what you google search he comes

Up!

I found him extremely helpfull, he inspected it, told me what was needed to be changed, remove T timer, plumb in BOV, remove rear seats and belts and such, and when I got it complient he signed it off.

He even said that if I do any other mods he will inspect and approve if its all compient and It would only be cost plus a small fee, win.

haha, I found him on the official ACT engineering signatories page...along with a couple of guys from QLD lol

how did the R34 go through with its new motor?

Not that r34, race only for that one.

registeered R34 GTR I got done.