SAU Community

Bad Compression, Oily Motor, Rings ?

mikeyR33-T

Hi guys, for those of you who do not know me/my car; its 93 r33 rb25det, auto, coupe 180,000+ kms, had to change turbo recently and rocker cover gaskets etc.. got the car cheaper but now i see why, even from day 1 when i got it dynoed and tested the dyno was down at least 10-15kw off normal, I have a 3inch turbo bk xhaust and hi flow cat, FMIC, and K&N filter, stock turbo/ecu etc all stock internals, the car always ran okay except starting up in morning it would idle rough as for a min till it came good, and driving it would at times hesitate OR have flat spots midrange. always drove but wasnt 100% power wise and idling and recently got worse, now the induction noise is very loud then it used to be, the car still idles rough in the mornings but most recently BELOW is the issue:

MY car has been down on compression on 2 of 6 cyl, but only be 10-15 psi, but since then i have upped the boost and given it a HARD time here and there, and NOW im getting oil spat all ova the engine bay, ive been told its compression build up shooting the dipstick out and oil out onto the engine bay beside the dipstick? theres no other way for oil to get out on the side of the motor, so myself and mechanic have decided compression has gone worse in the past months and to change the rings/gaskets for rebuild?? is that the ideal solution, and will it make the engine run like new again??

I thought the idling and flat spots issues may be timing/ AFR but I think now its to do with compression/air flow and my mechanic friend and I have decided to do the RINGS in my rb25det, change all the rings and gaskets as to do a rebuild to bring the engine/car back to life??

WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? IS THIS A GOOD IDEA? (there would be more details in this but i only know so much)

thanx - this is serious, I do not want to drive my engine to the ground if its slowly dying?

cheers mikeyy

do a compression test, post results

did 3-4months ago, like this; 150,150,150,145,140,135 from mem - but that was august, the main reason to choosing to do rings is because the motor isnt running its best and that dipstick has blown out and oil out the side of the motor and engine bay.. compression seems down

did 3-4months ago, like this; 150,150,150,145,140,135 from mem - but that was august, the main reason to choosing to do rings is because the motor isnt running its best and that dipstick has blown out and oil out the side of the motor and engine bay.. compression seems down

If compression was down you probably shouldnt have wound up the boost and hammered it, but do a current compression test.

If compression was down you probably shouldnt have wound up the boost and hammered it, but do a current compression test.

yeah probably not hey, but at the time i didnt know or think it was that bad...everyone ive spoke to has said new rings/gaskets will make the engine run like NEW! which i believe is worth it either way

the only thing that id have been weary of is 1 cylinder being 15psi off when the rest are really within 5-10psi. wouldnt be enough to cause what your saying tho but i still wouldnt have wrung its neck

• 1 month later...

the only thing that id have been weary of is 1 cylinder being 15psi off when the rest are really within 5-10psi. wouldnt be enough to cause what your saying tho but i still wouldnt have wrung its neck

Hi, just updating... I got the new rings/conrod bearings/3pistons were fu%d got all that replaced and now realised its running R&R which was most likely the whole time since I changed actuators :P Im learning as I go along...

I have since got Z32 ecu and Nistune installed, plan on getting a tune done asap to get the best I can out of this car and of course fix the bugs it has, Martin from WILLALL has explained to me, his tune will fix most of my issues :D cant wait, car might actually run to its full potential soon enough :D

thanks