SAU Community

Carbon Fiber Bonnets Vs Stock Aluminium Bonnets

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as long as your radiators getting sufficient air flow and working really well and your oil is staying cool if its meaning getting a bigger core and moving it to get more air flow then you shouldnt have any problems with "Air pressure" being an issue. Its not like im wanting to do superlap around eastern creak and every bit of R&D for carbon bonnets is vital for my engines survival, especially for a daily driving car. That said all Im after is to get the temp in the engine bay down so the intake isnt chocking itself. I personally dont think it matters where vents are as long as it works temp wise and you dont get water damage to coil packs.

as long as your radiators getting sufficient air flow and working really well and your oil is staying cool if its meaning getting a bigger core and moving it to get more air flow then you shouldnt have any problems with "Air pressure" being an issue. Its not like im wanting to do superlap around eastern creak and every bit of R&D for carbon bonnets is vital for my engines survival, especially for a daily driving car. That said all Im after is to get the temp in the engine bay down so the intake isnt chocking itself. I personally dont think it matters where vents are as long as it works temp wise and you dont get water damage to coil packs.

And how much research have you done into the subject to be able to make claims like that? I've personally seen 3 cars with cheap vented bonnets that had huge issues with over heating. Admittedly none of them in the Z-Tune design so perhaps they don't have the same issues, I don't know.

As I've said in numerous threads now, the cheap bonnets won't have the R&D in them to have a design that doesn't cause problems with low pressure zones. So in actual fact, with cheap bonnets you will most likely notice an increase in temperatures.

And how much research have you done into the subject to be able to make claims like that? I've personally seen 3 cars with cheap vented bonnets that had huge issues with over heating. Admittedly none of them in the Z-Tune design so perhaps they don't have the same issues, I don't know.

Really so why comment on my post about z tune bonnets and there cooling efficiency if you don't know.

Cf z tune copy bonnet was much lighter then the oem Gtr r34 bonne when I felt them both to compare., for full track car, I'd go the cf bonnet. For the street, stick to oem. It only gives you extra rep cool points for running a cf bonnet on the street

Really so why comment on my post about z tune bonnets and there cooling efficiency if you don't know.

Do you know that they don't cause any problems?

Edited by Hanaldo

I personally don't have experience with them but im not saying they dont have issues. As stated above if you dont know about a certain product that i was talking about, then dont make claims about it.

And i know of a few gtrs that are running them without any problems except water drainage and do provide cooler engine temps but I'm not backing the copies and there cooling efficiency untill I have tested myself.

And lets be honest Hanaldo... If "pressure zones using R&D were so critical with engine bay temps for a normal daily road cars, why do you see so many cars driving with say no bonnets, aka rotaries and hot rods etc, so many drive with out bonnets to 1- show off and 2 - keep engine bay temps down. Ive never seen a car with over heating issues from using a C/F bonnets in various designs on any car if you have your cooling systems working good.

I recon 9 times out of 10 they are only for looks thats it. My sti bonnet weighed 13kg and my Cf bonnet for it weighed 11 kg there wasnt much in it so really theres no weight advantage unless you go twin layer CF or so which would be no use for the road because of crumple factors in a crash.

im just going on facts of what ive seen and heard, obviously i havent owned every cf bonnet in the world but at the same time in NZ they are very common and its not hard to see and talk to people about their experiences.

why do you see so many cars driving with say no bonnets, aka rotaries and hot rods etc, so many drive with out bonnets to 1- show off and 2 - keep engine bay temps down.

blink.gif

This is an outrageous statement, jus' sayin.

Cf z tune copy bonnet was much lighter then the oem Gtr r34 bonne when I felt them both to compare.,

Gonna have to disagree on that one mate. To me, it felt like there was only 1-2kg difference in weight. The stock R34 GTR bonnet is VERY light.

all high performance jap cars bonnets are light, Evo's, STI's, GTR's Honda Type R & NSX they are all light alloy bonnets and it would be difficult to find an off the shelf CF bonnet genuine or not to be significantly lighter than them. Especially one that would be considered legal or even safe enough for the road. I would consider 10-13kg light, I bet my gts-t bonned weighs an excess of 20kg hahaha actually does anybody have an idea in the weight lol?

all high performance jap cars bonnets are light, Evo's, STI's, GTR's Honda Type R & NSX they are all light alloy bonnets and it would be difficult to find an off the shelf CF bonnet genuine or not to be significantly lighter than them. Especially one that would be considered legal or even safe enough for the road. I would consider 10-13kg light, I bet my gts-t bonned weighs an excess of 20kg hahaha actually does anybody have an idea in the weight lol?

Yes, I agree with you on this one. I just tested some CF bonnets and Al ones and you're right - not much of a huge difference. The truth is, most people choose to go vented CF bonnet for looks more than performance.

Depends a lot on how the CF bonnets are made though. If they used a lot of layers or didn't get rid of enough epoxy resin then the weight will add up. The resin actually weighs a hell of a lot, usually the peel ply they use to absorb the excess will way a lot more than the entire carbon fiber structure.

I'm talking about the 100% CF ones - all copies and half FB ones are disregarded as they're still quite heavy and are just for show.

So am I. Making carbon fiber is not an easy thing, you need a fair bit of experience to get a top quality result. It's very very easy to use too much resin or not soak up enough excess or build too many layers etc. and then all of a sudden you have a carbon fiber part that is heavier than the part you took off. Don't take it for granted that a 100% carbon fiber part is going to be light, it depends on how it was made.

That said, I'm sure the big companies churning out CF parts all day long know what they are doing. But you pay for it. Carbon fiber is expensive to make and therefore expensive to buy. I wouldn't be so confident that the cheap CF parts you see will be so good. Then again they might be. Its a gamble. Look at this for an example:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/375265-r32-dry-carbon-partsdoorsbootbonnet/

$4000 for doors, $2000 for boot lid, $2000 for bonnet, $3500 for dash... That's how expensive it is to make quality carbon fiber parts.

LOL far out ^^^ I guess im not surprised, its an effort just to lift it haha. even the cheap common (heavy) cf bonnet would be a big weight saver. Still im after the vents for cooling rather than the weight purpose. maybe 1 day.