SAU Community

Online Scam? Anyone Had The Same Experience?

Namgun

Hi guys,

Some of you may know from my previous post that I am selling my car.

Well I had an enquiry sent to my phone yesterday from an US number. Said he was an Australian Marine Engineer and could not call me because there's bad reception out in the sea even though he texted.

So he insisted on talking through e-mail.

Well THE POINT is, he wanted my paypal e-mail address and made an offer that was slightly higher than the advertised price without even inspecting the vehicle. He said he would only pay me through paypal. Telling me to sign up if I don't have it, adding that all they (PayPal) need from me is a valid bank account details.

He said he would arrange someone to pick up the car. He said it was for his dad, but he cannot come to Australia for the next few months cos of his job...

Has anyone had the same experience before?

I said no more negotiations unless he or the person picking up is willing to pay me with a bank cheque.

Scam right?

But what can someone do just with a paypal e-mail address? surely can't they just input random e-mail address and hack it if that was their motive?

do a search about this, its the oldest trick in the book and has been around for awhile now.

it's a scam.

Scam alright... you may even get funds but paypal will quickly take them back.. but i dont understand how the scammer benefits from a car sale, what do they actually gain?

+1 for scam,

I have had 7 emails/ phone text messages asking the for the same details each worded slightly differently however all will be scams. So block the email and ignore it.

Yep.. sounds like a scam to me.. only accept cash, a bank cheque or a direct deposit. And if they owner doesn't collect the car and hasn't signed the transfer of registration papers before arranging for the car to be collected, then remove the plates and de-register it before the sale!

I can confirm this is a scam. Got the same shit when I was selling my Honda about 2 years ago. He would have probably emailed you a link to the Paypal sign up page (if you don't already have one) or the login page. This is the trick!!!! The link will take you to a "Paypal" security login page. But mind you this is NOT the real Paypal site. It is FAKE and made to look exactly like the real Paypal site. As soon as you have entered your email address and credit card details, that's job done for him. So please ignore all his emails and stop dealing with him immediately.

I can confirm this is a scam. Got the same shit when I was selling my Honda about 2 years ago. He would have probably emailed you a link to the Paypal sign up page (if you don't already have one) or the login page. This is the trick!!!! The link will take you to a "Paypal" security login page. But mind you this is NOT the real Paypal site. It is FAKE and made to look exactly like the real Paypal site. As soon as you have entered your email address and credit card details, that's job done for him. So please ignore all his emails and stop dealing with him immediately.

Thanks Alvin :)