SAU Community

Fixing Sounds Of An R33 N/a Rb25De

Hello,

I have been noticing the past couple of weeks when I have been outside my car while people take off and go for a drive in it, it sounds like a muffled kind of 'farting' (Was the best way to describe it) noise. It sounds sort of sloppy, not a clean straight sound like I hear from other skylines.

Is there any chance I can get some videos on this thread of other peoples RB25DE's taking off from the outside to see if it's not just me.

My exhaust system is a 2.5 inch Cat-back from memory which features a stock muffler on the back (Only because my neighbours hate the noise). My exhaust also has 3 resantors, I was wondering which part of the exhaust would be making this noise, from my understanding I thought 3 resantors were too many (Just too quiet xD) also would it be the stock muffler, although I think I remember it doing it with my 3.5 inch mangaflow on the car as well.

Any posts/ideas will help :)

Thank you

Brendonams

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you post a video of your car so we can hear what it sounds like, not others post a video of theirs for you, as you have already described its not a clean sound like from other skylines.

I am no exhaust expert but I would have definetly said its the stock rear muffler and 1-2 too many resonators.

I will be back and will be able to in a week, I've even tried without the muffler and it still makes the sound, sort of a sloppy while increase in revs, il def take a video asap. I'm also taking it up to my friends soon to hoist it up and have a look at taking the res's out.

Hey, would you say the 'farting' sound, sounds like a rasp or a rattle? My car has the same symptoms where this noise starts around 2800-3000 rpm and will fade around 4500-5000 rpm. I have noticed that this noise dies down a bit after the car has warmed up. I noticed this sound before I changed the exhaust system (was stock exhaust) but installing a catback only amplified this sound

It's really hard to make an example of the sound, once I get back il take a movie of it. It may just be how a N/A RB25 sounds but I was just here to wonder. If you hear a turbo skyline take off the whole way through it sounds clear and clean, but when mine does for 2800-3000 to 4000-5000 it sort of makes a sound like it's loosing air, it sort of slightly shutters like the airflow is sloppy but I will get back and see.

It's really hard to make an example of the sound, once I get back il take a movie of it. It may just be how a N/A RB25 sounds but I was just here to wonder. If you hear a turbo skyline take off the whole way through it sounds clear and clean, but when mine does for 2800-3000 to 4000-5000 it sort of makes a sound like it's loosing air, it sort of slightly shutters like the airflow is sloppy but I will get back and see.

That's because the exhaust of a Turbo Skyline is plugged into the turbo. whistling.gif

Also one more quick question, I have a 93 r33 gts, the under bonet fuse box has a resistor or something for "ABS" 30 amps, there are two of these, after a unhelpful google search I was left to wonder does this mean it has ABS? I thought ABS was only brought in on s2 or later models?

I have locked my car up once in the wet when a driver pulled in front of me and no ABS system seem to of activated.

i think s1 had is as an option and so they all had the fuse locations. if there is an alloy box at the back of the engine bay with brake lines going into it then you have abs.

you can see it here behind the power steering reseviour

post-24887-1165831522.jpg

hey man, as far as natro exhausts sound they are noticably different to the turbo equivalent (even if the base engine is the same) so i wouldn't worry to much if thatd what your comparing the sound to.

as for the exhaust its been coverd many times just run a search. IMO get your local exhaust shop to bend you up a mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch system with a resonator and one or two mufflers (depending how loud/drowny you want it

)