SAU Community

Fatigue & Pseudoephedrine

JEPPE

Hi everyone,

Currently trying to get fit to increase my performance to race motorcycles. Have a bit of a story and some questions and I would appreciate some input.

Firstly I'll explain the fatigue: In my teen's I had a stressful event happen in my life after which I was depressed and regularly fell ill with tonsillitis (2-3 times a year for four years). I never had any positive results for Glandular Fever but was only tested on a couple of instances so I suspect it may have gone undetected in one of the other times I was ill.

Since then I have found it very difficult to push my body at all. Generally if I try to work out at what would be called a normal rate I will end up gradually fatiguing over the days and need to stop because I become upset, anxious, stressed etc. My endorphin high will last for maximum 30 minutes then I will experience those things. If I push it in a training session I will throw up or come close to passing out.

I choose not to drink because if I have a big night I will literally sleep for 20 hours and be cactus the next day with the symptoms of above. When in a full time job, even if it's a easy no-stress week, I will sleep at least 12 hours at the end of the week even after getting 9-10 hours of sleep every night. It's as if I still don't get enough rest and my body gradually declines over the five days. This is with no exercise and a reasonable diet.

This year I have had two other lesser but still stressful events. Immediately after these occurred my glands would swell and I would come down with a throat sickness, usually feeling fatigued for weeks after.

For the pseudoephedrine: When riding the motorcycle at a practice day it will consist of two days in a row of 6 x 20 minute sessions spaced one hour apart.

I used to do it as is and I have been testing with pseudoephedrine. My food and exercise prior to the track days has been consistent. These are the results:

Without:

Complete two sessions normally, after which my track times decrease massively. Each time I come back to the pits I'm exhausted, I just sit and close my eyes with aching muscles and no concentration, I barely even speak. Previously it has gone as far as crashing due to lack of concentration on the track, I would just be winging it. Maximum I will complete five sessions of the day.

With (3 pills each day, one before the first session then every two sessions after that):

Firstly I can complete two full 6 session days. My times constantly increase and I only see a plateau or very slight decline due to muscle soreness. Even when my muscles are sore I still have concentration therefore I have been able to beat PB's with absolutely no close calls (which were happening often before hand including occasional crashes) and can consciously analyze my body strength while riding, therefore able to compensate for it. I have no more exhaustion inbetween sessions, of course my muscles still fatigue and after the day I'm very ready for bed, but during I am coherent and feedback re: bike handling and adjustments are increased tenfold.

So these are obviously pretty extreme differences. Of course I don't want to have to rely on a drug, even over the counter, for relief but I think it may indicate a possible connection to fatigue or something else in me that might be amiss.

Has anyone had any experience with Glandular Fever or fatigue and can shed some light on whether this seems a result of it or how they have dealt with it? Or even any other kind of illness, sickness, etc etc.

Edited by JEPPE

The following is a classic equation...

Glandular Fever (especially EBV rather than CMV) + Candidiasis Infestation = Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (aka ME - myalgic encephalopathy)

^ ^ ^ Remember it!

If you need to treat it effectively, PM me or if in Sydney make an appointment. There's too much involved to explain on a forum.

PS:- Pseudoephedrine only helps to create a short spike of energy. Ephedrine was what truckies would use to stay awake > backlash later on.

Good food, lots of water and ramp up a fitness program.

What is your current fitness program like, are you overtraining, how is your diet, are you eating 6 small meals a day which have all the food groups, do you know about when to eat carbs and proteins prior to or after training.

I know when I let my diet and fitness drop I feel like crap, but when I start eating good again and get some training in I'm good again.

Don't take drugs to mask the problem.

Got your PM JEPPE > have replied with a questionnaire (since blood tests for ME/CFS are unreliable).

Next step? > PM again to get to the next stage (if required).

I've resigned from the Exec effective in 2 weeks > I lose a lot of my PMs. If I lose yours, I'll watch this thread.

Cheers, Terry

Thanks Terry for your help

Good food, lots of water and ramp up a fitness program.

What is your current fitness program like, are you overtraining, how is your diet, are you eating 6 small meals a day which have all the food groups, do you know about when to eat carbs and proteins prior to or after training.

I know when I let my diet and fitness drop I feel like crap, but when I start eating good again and get some training in I'm good again.

Don't take drugs to mask the problem.

Only just started exercising again, for the last month and a bit while not exercising it was high protein and vegies, low fat/sugar/carbs. Now that I'm back exercising my plan is 3 running a week, 2 gym.

Last night I went for a run, did 2.64 km in 15:30 minutes. The start was at a normal run but my heart rate reached 175 in five minutes and to keep it from topping that (I didn't want to go over as I believe around 165-170 is the max of my exercise 'zone') I had to jog almost at a walking pace at times. After there was no endorphin high, just mental exhaustion.

Does that kind of heart rate increase seem steep? It took me ten minutes of walking to get it back to 145.

Last night I went for a run, did 2.64 km in 15:30 minutes.

I had to jog almost at a walking pace at times.

What a coincidence! This week I started timing my walk to work this week in an effort to improve it!

I'm unfit beyond all belief (like seriously, lazy as fark & carrying an extra 8 kegs atm).

Walking avg of 2km in 14.5mins, 50% of it uphill (Vic Pde). My heart rate certainly aint going through the roof, not really puffed and only breaking a little mild sweat if that.

So if you are busying 175 that sounds concerning indeed!

Start slow man, when Im getting back into training I do walk/run between telegraph poles, slow run and brisk walking, try throwing in some push ups and sit ups in before the walking phase, aim for at least 10 x 10 sets of each over the time your out, you want to keep it up for 45minutes at least for cardio and a max time of 45 minutes for weight training.

As for your heart rate, a good test is that if you can have a conversation, albeit with some huffing and puffing, you are going OK, BUT, if you cannot get your words out back off a bit.

Always carry a water bottle to, keep away from any energy drinks as they are full of sugar and salt and if you have a good diet you do not need it.

After you have eaten dont train for at least 1 hr minimum but have some good carbs within 1/2 a hour of training.

Most important thing is to start slow and work up your intensity, first month should be taken easy and always record your times and achievements, ie 5klm walk run in 38min with 10 x 10 push ups, 8 x 10 sit ups, I do this style on Mon Wend Fri with squats and deadlifts on Tue and bench and pulldowns on Thurs, again recording your reps and weight used .

There is 11ty million different fitness programs you can do, this is what I find works for me after a spell.

I do 10 x 10 on all weight exersices as I fell this works well for me, remember no more than 45min training.

Dont waste your money on the Protien powders and pills and stuff they sell, good food is better and costs less.

• 1 month later...

I had a hardcore case of EBV and now have chronic fatigue. I've just started going to the gym properly with a program written by a PT. Every time I've gone I've spewed up. I'm always tired, too. Is there any way I can get a good workout even with chronic fatigue?

Can you get onto an enzyme called Trypsin for 2+ weeks before your program starts in earnest?

Brand name is called DEF made by Orthoplex.

It contains 30mg/tablet & take one 3x a day.

Available from naturopaths and some health food shops.

Report back, in case you need to piggyback that with Neem 600mg.

Neem can kill Epstein-Barr Virus although antibodies will always show (albeit reduced).

• 4 months later...