SAU Community

Mr30 Sleeper Rb30 N/a

cryline

First and foremost I would like to say thankyou for this awesome website, the search feature has been most helpful to me in my endeavours.

A number of years ago my then partner Fiona was in dire need of a daily driver, something reliable, easy to drive and maintain and attractive (girls are funny like that)

The search began...... classifieds, ebay and caryards and then we found her..... Silver 1984 MR30 Ti sedan factory mags, electric windows and mirrors and an antenna that that could be popped up and down from the roof console lol. $1000 dollars with rwc and rego.

This litle car was soo reliable and fun to drive, never missing a beat ......

Fast forward 5 years

I was replaced with a newer model and so was the little skyline, the years had taken its toll (on the car) and when i bought it from her and drove it home i checked it over, no oil in the motor at all and brown sludge was circulating its way through the cooling system and it had 6 different sparkplugs (i had no idea that there was that many different plug manufacturers lol) Basically the car had been driven into the ground. It needed a LOT of work

I thought about my options, so much work to be done to bring her back to her former glory was it going to be worth it? I couldnt bring myself to scrap her, but parts for this car getting so hard to find i decided to go the RB30 route.

What i had at first thought was going to be a couple of weekends work at most has turned into a lot more.

The L24 was pulled out and we had the RB30 sitting in place on the first day. Using the R31 engine mounts (mounts had to be slotted where the locator pin sits) and the original R30 gearbox mount (auto)

The whole motor and gearbox went in no dramas and matched the R30 tailshaft spot on.

Then we started on the wiring, this would be fairly straight forward I was informed..... Seems a lot of people have mates that know someone who knew someone that did it etc

Not the case as I have discovered. The whole loom from dash to headlights was removed and replaced with the R31 loom ECU, Tranny computer and time control unit. and six cluster dash. A few plugs had to be changed and extended, no biggie.

Retaining the original radiator using a range rover top hose. ( hose is on the other end compared to the R31 item and this one seems to fit perfectly)

Next all fluids replaced, battery fitted and tranny lever adjusted new exhaust fitted and it starts first turn of the key.

Now we run into a problem, the fuel pump wont stop and keeps pumping fuel while the ignition is on. Is it meant to do this? I was under the impression that the once it got to pressure it is meant to stop?

I'm thinking i may need to upgrade the R30 pump with either an aftermarket jobbie or work out how to instal the R31 intank item.

Thanks for your time, i'll try and upload a few pics this week and an update.

:)

Just a quick edit, we used the R31 power steering pump and the nice guys at enzed (pertek laughed at me and said good luck with that) made some new hoses and fittings to mate to the original power steering box, $160 well spent

Edited by cryline

Moderators, couple we eventually have this made into a 'sticky' as it seems to be a fairly commonly asked topic, but here is an excellent response!

Using the R31 engine mounts (mounts had to be slotted where the locator pin sits)

original R30 gearbox mount (auto)

matched the R30 tailshaft spot on.

whole loom from dash to headlights was removed and replaced with the R31 loom ECU,

Tranny computer and time control unit. and six cluster dash. A few plugs had to be changed and extended

Retaining the original radiator using a range rover top hose. ( hose is on the other end compared to the R31 item and this one seems to fit perfectly)

tranny lever adjusted new exhaust fitted and it starts first turn of the key.

Fuel pump wont stop and keeps pumping fuel while the ignition is on.

upgrade the R30 pump with either an aftermarket jobbie or work out how to instal the R31 intank item.

used the R31 power steering pump and the nice guys at enzed made some new hoses and fittings to mate to the original power steering box, $160