SAU Community

Vct Cam Gear, Getting Vct Working

Hey guys

UIve got a 30det without working vct, see internal vct mod

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/251669-rb2530-rb30det-vvt-internal-oil-control/page__st__100

I have pulled the 30det cam gear off for a bit of an inspection and assessment ( as i have oil pressure at solenoid, and everything works apart from the cam actually advancing).

upon inspection I cannot move the actuator for the vct ( the internal part of the cam gear that the cam dowels into, and physically moves the cam )

Curiousity got the better of me, and I pulled the cam gear off my spare rb25det with known working vct.

This thing too, I cannot move the actuator by hand.

I was told that you should be able to move these actuators by hand, am I missing something here or:

have I got two rooted vct cam gears/

or this is how they are meant to be and that the oil pressure + centrifugal force combines moves the cam.

can someone verify off their spare known working cam gear and just check to see if you can move those actuators by hand?

Ive only got these two to run off.

post-62707-0-67429600-1330233268_thumb.jpg

post-62707-0-69276300-1330233365_thumb.jpg

When I said move it by hand I didn't mean you could grab it with your fingers and turn it lol.

Cam gear on, belt on.........turn the bolt in the centre that holds it on the cam until it's tight. When you turn it further to tension the bolt, the camshaft will turn but the outer gear part will stay still.

You are looking for the wrong problem. The gear will be fine on both

When I said move it by hand I didn't mean you could grab it with your fingers and turn it lol.

Cam gear on, belt on.........turn the bolt in the centre that holds it on the cam until it's tight. When you turn it further to tension the bolt, the camshaft will turn but the outer gear part will stay still.

You are looking for the wrong problem. The gear will be fine on both

ah. I think the end summary is that the internal vct mod is full if crap and should be deleted, ah the pain.

MMMMMMMmmmmmm

Hit up Macca ;) he's the master Mechanic outta you 2 :P <3

:P when he is ready i will teach him my ways

VCT is definitely audible.

When i first put my Link G4 in for some reason the standard setting in the link didnt have any ECT lockout set , so when the car was idling (and idling a bit derpy) the revs would fluctuate above and below the VCT engagement RPM, you could hear, and feel the solenoid clicking.

Figured out this was half the reason the idle was such an asshole to setup lol.