SAU Community

My R33 Gtst Buildup

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've been lurking on this forum for a fair while now, and have owned my skyline since 2005. I thought it was about time I did a bit of a write up of what has happened and what is going to be with my vehicle.

I'm no great scholar when it comes to writing and surely suck at photography, so please forgive me haha.

Okay so I guess I'll start from the beginning;

I fell in love with skylines from a young age, but couldn't afford one for obvious reasons. It wasn't until I was in the 3rd year of my apprenticeship and also had some spare cash laying around did I finally decide to search for my first skyline. I had a friend who had brought his skyline from Autoforce in brisbane, so I gave them a call and sorted out a deal pretty much immediately over the phone. I had just purchased a 1996 series 2 R33 GTST.

The car had a few mods done already to help it along with the sale which included;

- Cat-back stainless exhaust

- Volk wheels

- Tein coilovers (street series)

551325_10150630985381725_594951724_9248139_699571888_n.jpg

I decided I would just go ahead and purchase some more parts from autoforce at the time of sale which included the following;

- Monkey front mount Intercooler

- Turbosmart V-Port Type 2 plus Adapter BOV

- Hi-Flow CAT and 3' Dump pipe

- Blitz Spec R Boost controller

- Mongoose 3 point Immoblizar

- Garrett GT35 turbo

- Apexi Power FC ECU

- Splitfire coil set

- Z32 Airflow meter

- DENSO 550cc injectors

- Bosch 040 In-tank fuel pump

- Exedy brass button clutch

- Stainless exhaust manifold

I had the car fitted up with the BOV, frontmount, dump/cat and alarm before leaving the store. Then I pretty much hit the road all the way back to Mount Isa QLD. The long drive home was a good chance to get used to the car and enjoy my new toy.

I had my car for a few months before I took it to the local tuner and got them to install the Blitz boost controller. From what I recall it made 190rwkw ( such a long time ago ). Which kept me entertained on the street for a while before the stock turbo had had enough and decided to exit through the exhaust.

Considering I had most parts stockpiled already I wasn't too concerned, just had to save some money to get it all fitted up. Well time had passed and I was itching to get my car going again, so I dropped t back to the only tuner in town and let them go about their business installing all the gear. A few weeks went past before I got the call to come pick it up, I was pretty damn excited as you could imagine. The tuner gave me about 270rwkw as he didn't want to push it any furthur due to the stock internals.

544747_10150630980871725_594951724_9248127_16891165_n.jpg

It kept me happy for another few weeks before the single plate decided to give up the ghost and fail completely. Straight back to the tuner and purchased a Direct racing twin plate. Learnt all about how agressive a clutch can be with that damn thing. But got used to it over time and really enjoyed it in the end.

All was going smoothly for a long time until one night whilst cruising around the cheap manifold decided to crack where the wastegate attached. I pulled it off the road again and stripped it all down. Took the manifold to a local welder to get repaired and add a brace to support the gate. I had it all returned and in my haste to put it all together I made a very major mistake, which would show itself on the first test drive. When it was all together I took it for a lap and being the young and stupid person I was decided to give it a foot full of boost. The gate didn't open and I heard a pop, I pulled the car to the side of the road and it sat there roughly idleing with small puffs of smoke coming from the exhaust.

Once again I pulled the motor down to inspect what I had done wrong and what the damage actually was. In my haste of putting the manifold back together I had switched the wastegate lines around, causing the gate to be held shut. Silly mistake which caused the standard internals to fail.

4199_79889821724_594951724_1868773_3440064_n.jpg

4199_79889826724_594951724_1868774_3499998_n.jpg

I couldn't have my car sit off the road for too long as it was my daily. So I decided to go buy another RB25 and put it all back together. I purchased the import motor and within a few weeks had the motor in the car ready to start.

544747_10150630980891725_594951724_9248129_2099708027_n.jpg

I turned the car over and it wouldn't fire, after checking everything over and over again I performed a compression test. I found compression in nearly every cylinder was low, I couldn't believe I had purchased a dud motor. I pulled the motor down and found broken ringlands on most pistons. I was wild as you could imagine, I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore. I gave up with it and let it sit there for many years.

Now the time has come for me to finish my dream. I have let my car sit there for far too long. Over the past few months I have been purchasing many parts and soon hope to be sending it to Brisbane to get built. So far I have purchased the following;

CP Pistons 0.5mm OS

Spool conrods ( with ARP2000 bolts )

ARP L19 Conrod bolts

Gates Timing belt

ACL main bearings

ACL conrod bearings

ARP Main Bolts

ARP Head Studs

Cometic MLS head gasket

Ross Tuffbond Balancer

Plazmaman Plenum

Plazmaman Throttle body 72MM

Plazmaman Intercooler (680 x 340 x 76mm tube & fin)

Splitfire Coilpacks

ECU - Link G4 Extreme wire in

Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 sensor & Guage

Tomei IN/EX Cam gears

Tomei Procams 270/10.25mm

Tomei Bronze Valve guides

Supertech double valve springs

Supertech Titanium retainers

Supertech 1MM OS intake valves

Supertech 1MM OS exhaust valves

Supertech Solid cam followers

Supertech valve IN/EX stem seals

Nitto Oil pump

Nissan N1 water pump

Spool imports crank collar

Spool imports mains girdle

Spool imports billet main caps set

Spool imports high volume sump

Spool imports cylinder head drain kit

Bosch 2200cc Injectors

BMI Fuel rail

Bosch 040 Fuel pumps x 2

Walbro intank fuel pump

Aftermarket industries 3L Surge tank

Gator fuel filters

Turbosmart FPR2000

Turbosmart Racegate BOV

Turbosmart 60mm wastegate

Garrett GTX4294R with 1.01 rear housing

6Boost splitpulse manifold ( ceremic coated )

AI Billet Catch can..

182802_10150089942436725_594951724_6297178_3689287_n.jpg

419553_10150546987376725_594951724_8982920_122665603_n.jpg

424901_10150547167541725_594951724_8983074_2021005558_n.jpg

424670_10150568508836725_594951724_9037268_673456788_n.jpg

427060_10150568509006725_594951724_9037270_316193697_n.jpg

Well that's it for the moment. I will update this post as the progress and photos continue. So please stay tuned and thanks for reading. thanks.gif

Cheers,

Gordo.

Garrett GTX4294R with 1.01 rear housing :blink:

Aye curumba! That's a hot list of goodies, but perhaps a touch overkill on the turbot?

Me thinks the poor little 25 is going to struggle to huff out enough to fill such huge bellows.

Keen to see how it all comes together!

Edited by Cowboy1600

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the build? Lots of money being spent here. All your components for your head (super tech) and so on, very top quality and expensive. Have the same on my rb25. Would like to see how it's come together. Good luck buddy.

the lagg would be ridiculous.

There is people with 26/30's that still complain of the lag.

imagine your 25 trying to spool that up.

Should had gone with a smaller turbo for more response.

But otherwise am interested to see how this comes out like.