SAU Community

Hi just looking for some advice, I wanted to replace the clilpack wiring loom in my 93 GTST , but have found rather than having the standard 7 pin plug, ive found it has a 6 pin, the only replacement I can find is one that suits the 33 GTR, but mine has an earth wire and the GTR does not, but also keeping in mind this car is in a mess and the ignition control module is not even fixed to the car, ( got it this way and plan to sort it all out )

Any advice would be helpful, I'm not sure what to do TIA

1 hour ago, Murray_Calavera said:

15 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Delete the ignitor crap, then go R35 / 370Z coils and a new loom.

Which, straight up, is this

https://www.wiringspecialties.com/r33-gts-vr38-coil-pack-conversion-harness/

or this

https://www.wiringspecialties.com/prp-r35-gt-r-smart-coil-kit-for-rb25det-s1-s2-bracket-hw-stalks/

But you cam also buy equivalent stuff direct from PRP or Goleby's and all the other usual local suspects, without the USD and shipping costs of wiring specialties.

Edited by GTSBoy

Thanks everyone, I'm just confused as to why they used the gtr loom rather than the standard and what the reason for doing it was.  I'm new to turbo skylines so forgive me for being a bit thick. Keen to learn as much as possible.

2 hours ago, R33tur said:

I'm just confused as to why they used the gtr loom rather than the standard

Because there's no special difference between the GTR and 25 looms (that matter, anyway).

The differences that matter are that R32 and S1 R33s had dumb coils, the S2 R33s had coils with built in igniters and then so did the R34 stuff (but with other differences, like physical mounting differences). So if you're replacing the coils with R35 coils anyway, then all you need to do is match the plugs.

Ah right, I just want to find the same one to replace what is there for now, the one on it is a bit stuffed, missing plugs etc, to be honest I'm not sure how the car is even running, thanks for the help.

If you have to change the loom now, you might as well not waste the money put into that, and go the whole hog and upgrade the entire system. The poor (or tight-arse) man pays twice.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 9:33 AM, GTSBoy said:

If you have to change the loom now, you might as well not waste the money put into that, and go the whole hog and upgrade the entire system. The poor (or tight-arse) man pays twice.

I don't really agree....the stock ignition system is fine for most use as long as the loom and coils are in good condition.....changing to different coil setups not necessary unless you are looking for big power.....and I get the impression OP has a lot of unwanted money to spend getting the car running properly

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I don't really agree....the stock ignition system is fine for most use as long as the loom and coils are in good condition.....changing to different coil setups not necessary unless you are looking for big power.....and I get the impression OP has a lot of unwanted money to spend getting the car running properly

Thanks mate, my first intentions were to make changes, upgrades and all that's kind of stuff but that was Before the car had arrived, now I'm looking at just sorting out basic thing's you wouldn't expect to have been worried about with a car that was described as only having a knock in the rear suspension, the list has gotten bigger as we started to work on it. I wouldn't wish such a car on my worst enemy. But it is what it is, and I have to make do with what I've been given, just hoping to make it into something half decent.

• Like 1

Spends money on loom, then finds out OEM ignitor is cactus, spends money on that, then finds OEM coils are cooked.

Then goes, ok, time to upgrade to a R35/370Z coil setup.

Now left with a barely used new loom, and a barely used new ignitor.

Can't sell the latter two for anything to recoup costs.

TLDR, just get a R35/370Z coil kit.

7 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Spends money on loom, then finds out OEM ignitor is cactus, spends money on that, then finds OEM coils are cooked.

Then goes, ok, time to upgrade to a R35/370Z coil setup.

Now left with a barely used new loom, and a barely used new ignitor.

Can't sell the latter two for anything to recoup costs.

TLDR, just get a R35/370Z coil kit.

Do I need anything else to do this conversion? 🤔 

6 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

What ECU are you using?

Standard from what I can tell, the car was shipped to me and I've found it all to be in a big mess, we've come to find alot missing and stuff mixed up, looks to have been an ex track car, maybe set up for drifting. We think a bigger turbo and front mount intercooler previously, turning in to a massive headache.

4 minutes ago, R33tur said:

Standard from what I can tell, the car was shipped to me and I've found it all to be in a big mess, we've come to find alot missing and stuff mixed up, looks to have been an ex track car, maybe set up for drifting. We think a bigger turbo and front mount intercooler previously, turning in to a massive headache.

I was hoping you were going to say you have an aftermarket ECU. 

So, personally I wouldn't buy a R35 coil kit without already having an aftermarket ECU. I would be concerned about dwell time settings that the R35 coils want, might not match up with the original coils dwell time. With the aftermarket ECU you can set the dwell times so happy days. Stock ECU... not so much. 

I don't know how many people out there would be running $1000 worth of coil kit on a stock ECU, so dunno if anyone can personally confirm that it runs well on the stock ECU? 

4 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I would be concerned about dwell time settings that the R35 coils want, might not match up with the original coils dwell time. With the aftermarket ECU you can set the dwell times so happy days. Stock ECU... not so much. 

The dwell times for R35 coils are a decent match with stock RB ECUs.

18 minutes ago, R33tur said:

they say it works wirh factory ecu, but is this correct?

On 3/17/2024 at 7:22 PM, GTSBoy said:

The dwell times for R35 coils are a decent match with stock RB ECUs.