SAU Community

Rb20 Oil Control

Currently in the process of my second turbo swap in 6 months.

My car has always used oil slowly and during the first turbo swap it seemed that it must be the compressor housing of the turbo leaking oil into the intake (fair bit of oil in intake piping from turbo onwards, little evidence of oil from cam cover breather to intake).

The car continued to use oil at the same rate with another factory RB20 turbo, now in the process of swapping for a high flowed 25 turbo it seems less apparent that the compressor housing has been leaking (oil obvious from the cam cover breather, less oil in intake piping overall, little to no oil in compressor housing)

The car uses bugger all oil in highway driving but plenty in hills thrashing, blows black smoke under heavy acceleration but not when I come off the throttle. Planning to do a compression test in the next few days, is a leak down test also necessary?

Cam cover gasket has weeped intermittently even after being replaced but never enough to drop oil in my driveway.

I'm running Penrite HPR10 15W-50.

Need to get this sorted as I'm pushing for 220 rwkW+ with the new turbo.

Another thread suggested cleaning PCV but didn't say how to do so...

140,000 kms, if that's the case what can I do to help it?

140k legit? Unless you've got verified service history who knows what it really is. Could be over 200k for all you know.

Get the motor checked Comp test & leakdown, not much you can really do until you know the results of where it's at.