SAU Community

Should I Get An R32 Gts4?

swimming lemon

hey guys

I have a r32 gtst and I am thinking about selling it and getting a r32 gts4 but not to sure if its worth it or not?

the reason I am posting this is because I am going to look at one today and not to sure what to look for so I have a few questions.

how can you tell if the the awd system is stuffed or not?

is it hard to install the switch to make it rwd only?

are there any major common problems that occur with them that i should look for?

also seeing as there not all time awd do all the wheels have to be the same width like evos and rexs or can you have staggered?

over all my question is,should i get rid of my 32 gtst for a 32 gts4?

any other information on them would be greatly appreciated

I have tried searching this info but I didn't come across any thing that really helped.

thanks in advance

i love to go GT-R but i don't exactly have the money for that haha. i know rwd is fun but id also want something that sticks to the road and im not to sure how well the gts4 performs, if its not that much better than the gtst i may as well keep it, but how i have never driven one or been in one it makes it a bit hard to decide.

If it's no good, there are plenty of other awd options out there :P

there is..

there are plenty of awd cars but there not able to switch between awd and rwd, my girlfriend has a wrx and after a week or so of driving it i get bored that's why i was thinking of getting a gts4

and not true. there are a few other brands that run a similar idea (all be it more modden).

It all depends on what YOU want from the car.

Assuming your car is stock (motor) and the gts4 is then you will find it slower than the gtst because of all the fwd gear. you can run stagered wheel sizes as long as the ROLLING diameter is the same.

So why do you want a gts4? plan on putting a rb26 or something in it?

what do you want from the car? you said grip but also the ability to use only rwd, why?

what i would want from it is to be more of an all round fun car, off track or on track if i ever took it.

i would look into putting an rb26 or a neo rb25.

so if my rims are 18/8 front and 18/9 back with 235/40 all round i can run that?

i would like to have rwd in case I wanted to try get into drifting or every now and then have a celebratory skid, but most the time i would have awd on its more to know it can do it if i want it to.

seeing as i have never driven a gts4 before i wouldn't know how much better it would handle compared to the gtst.

mate if it is going to stay RB20, then don't buy one.

they weigh more than a GTR and have the same power as a GTST.

You can't have different sized tyres either.

just like a GTR, you have to have same tyres all round.

if you have different size rims from to rear but same size tyres, that might work, but I would have thought that it still kind of alters the diameter as one tyre side wall will be more stretched than the other.

how to test if it's working? 6k revs then side step clutch.

Installing a rwd/2wd switch is piss easy.

If you are definitely doing an RB25 or 26 conversion, then fine, but even after that, you have a car heavier than a GTR.

Should you sell your GTST for a GTS4?

NO!

i would have thought a gts4 coupe would way less than the gtr? what makes its heavier?

not sure if the owner would be to happy i launch it when i go look at it haha.

if i was to get one i would defiantly swap the engine out, but if the end result ends up being a lot heavier then a gtr then i think i would rather wait until i can afford a one instead of going through the effort of working a gts4.

thanks for the help hopefully make it easier to decide.

Gtr has light bonnet and guards.

Goes a long way.

My gts4 was 1490kg

Gtr is listed as 1450kg

Gts4 feels more lively because of the gearing.

Seriously man, keep the gtst till you a afford a gtr.

Finding a gts4, then a stagea rb25 or rb26, then having it fitted will get you in to cheap gtr territory.

I almost bought a 94 r32 gtr for $12k and it turned out it had low compression on on pot.

The guy offered to go down to $10k but I still left it.

And that car had about $5k worth of turbos and associated mods to make 280awkw.

At best a gts4 will be about $5k for a nugget.

Engine conversion will be another $5k to $10k depending on what you buy and get done.

And then you still don't have the good seats or guards, bonnet, front bar.

Not worth it.

just like a GTR, you have to have same tyres all round.

you're confusing rolling diameter with width.

as long he runs the same size side wall then he will be fine.

Edited by Boss-zilla

Buy my GTS4 with an RB26 already in it. Save yourself thousands of dollars in pain. Problem solvered. :)

sell it for 11k and i will haha if i had the money i would defiantly look into it. looks awesome man, looks like a shit load of work has gone in to it

you're confusing rolling diameter with width.

as long he runs the same size side wall then he will be fine.

so the width doesn't affect it at all? so long as i have the same rolling diameter all round should be fine then, i thought they would all have to be the same sizes

might just end up keeping my gtst for now anyway seeing as the gts4 i went to look at was shit house and the others are more than i can afford at the moment.

sell it for 11k and i will haha if i had the money i would defiantly look into it. looks awesome man, looks like a shit load of work has gone in to it

so the width doesn't affect it at all? so long as i have the same rolling diameter all round should be fine then, i thought they would all have to be the same sizes

might just end up keeping my gtst for now anyway seeing as the gts4 i went to look at was shit house and the others are more than i can afford at the moment.

the system uses the abs sensors to calculate if any of the wheels are spinning (slip) any faster than the others. so if you have different size rolling diameters between front/back it will see it as one set moving faster than the other and not operate correctly.

In my opinion it is better to have the same width front to back but that is just me.

Edited by Boss-zilla

Even if you have the same size tyres (235/45), I would have thought that the one fitted to a 9 inch tyre would have less rolling diameter compared to when fitted to a 8 inch rim due to the stretch in the sidewall causing the tyre to stretch a little.

but my brain works in different ways....... when it works.

Even if you have the same size tyres (235/45), I would have thought that the one fitted to a 9 inch tyre would have less rolling diameter compared to when fitted to a 8 inch rim due to the stretch in the sidewall causing the tyre to stretch a little.

well i thought the same thing so your not the only one haha, good to know that you can run staggered though, thanks for the help guys. Edited by swimming lemon

well i thought the same thing so your not the only one haha, good to know that you can run staggered though, thanks for the help guys.

you are both correct but if you had an 8 and 9 you would run a 225 and 235/45 (as example). correct width tyre shouldnt stretch.

sorry i was only using the sizes as an example the point was you get the correct tyre for the rim width what ever it is but make sure the side wall sizes are the same between front back.

Should have made that a little clearer.