SAU Community

R34 Gtr - Random Stall / Wouldnt Drive More Than A Metre. Problem Advice?

iwanta34gtr

Hi All,

Had an issue with my GTR last night.

Engine had a noticable miss while driving at approx 60km/h and then a few minutes later when I was stopped at the lights, I went to take off normally but the car was constantly bunny hopping and stalling and wouldnt actually drive more than a metre without sh*tting itself.

I could free rev it but as soon as i took my foot up off the clutch to take off it would stall or almost stall. Tried quite a few times.

I managed to limp it to the side of the road and then jiggled the rear AFM cable and the AFM itself as a first attempt to rectify and the car appeared to instantly start idling smoother and i could drive it again. But I dont know if this was just coincidence though.

Is there anything else I should be checking? It probably is the AFM or dirty AFM connection / plug - But what else could cause this behaviour?

The car used to have a different constant miss and lack of power which was caused by a worn out intake manifold gasket but this has since been rectified and is something different.

Previously, the car has had -

- Test for air leaks performed

- Replacement metal intake manifold gasket and hoses

- Replacement NGK Platinum PFR6A-11 plugs

- Coil packs checked - appear okay

- Rear air flow meter replaced (as previous air flow meter had a higher voltage and was causing the car to run a bit rich)

- Fuel filter replaced with Genuine Nissan - 16400-53J10

Doubt it would be a clutch issue but incase it helps diagnose, the car has also recently had -

- Stock dual mass flywheel reinstalled with Nismo clutch remaining in the car

- Replacement spiggot and thrust bearing

- Brake and clutch fluid topped up with Castrol Response Super DOT 4

Only things I did yesterday morning was put in Royal Purple HPS 10W40, replaced the oil filter with a genuine Nissan 15208-53J0A and also put some fuel injector cleaner into the fuel tank.

Will be aiming to get it to my mechanic tomorrow, but may be hard to reproduce the fault.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by iwanta34gtr

sounds like afm bud. Also check you intercooler hoses for splits and cracks. The stock ones on mine developed a crack in them, but I also had a AFM die aswell.

Thanks mate, I will take a look at the cooler hoses - but I also have a gut feeling its the rear AFM fouling up again.

Just had this happen on mine, was my lower AFM. I had the same thing with sputtering and bunnyhopping. I found that unplugging both afms should make the car idle a bit high but smoothly and plugging the AFM's back in should cause the problem to reappear.

I tried some AFM cleaner from supercheap but it didn't fix mine, contact cleaner should work as well.

Thanks guys. As the rear (top) AFM was a replacement from my mechanic, will be aiming to go back and get diagnosed / replacement today.

Also need to get the front AFM checked.

Will post results.

Update.

Took the car to my mechanic this afternoon and it spat out an air flow meter error code.

Replaced the rear air flow meter and cleaned the front one while we were at it - so far so good, touch wood.

Will see how it goes over the next few days.