SAU Community

Dodgy Hole Cut Under Battery Support For Intercooler Pipeing..

hey folks

so today i took all the intercooler, pipeing, hosing and bov's off the car, to reveal that the hole cut under the battery for the intercooler pipeing has been poorly done.

I have been told that on R32 gtr's this hole come stock standard, therfor you cannot be defected for it ??

As the pics show, someone has cut the area out, made the hole slightly bigger/bodgier n then only tac welded the peice back in place, and just slapped paint over it, it probably had 10 MIG tac welds holding it in place.

The car was complied after import and has been roadworthy'd twice once in NSW and once in VIC and this was never noticed.

I have owned the car since it was imported.

The pics were taken before i took a thick 1mm chunk of paint off the whole lot, looks like they just got a paintbrush and slapped paint over the bodgy job. After the paint was all scraped back to the original white paint, you could easily see only maximum of 10 or so tac welds holding the plate in place.

I plan to fix this up, weld the peice back in properly and grind it all back down. By trade im a sheet metal fabricator so fixing this up is easily done.

In the engine bay i was thinking of getting some either 1.6mm or 2mm plate and covering the area around the hole where its allready cut and recutting a new hole in the 2mm sheet, that way it looks neat and is strengthened.

Can anyone tell me if i can be defected for this ? obviously after i start welding im guna need an engineers cert to show its strong and been done properly. But thats only 100% necessary to get the engineers cert if the cops make me do so, correct ? Because ill do a bloody good job and itll be very neat. Hardly noticeable maybe only noticable to a GTR enthusiest..

Whats your opinions about this ? keen to hear others thoughts and opinions on this

cheers

post-58667-0-90622200-1337590758_thumb.jpg post-58667-0-67648800-1337590801_thumb.jpg post-58667-0-12138000-1337590837_thumb.jpg

post-58667-0-39017400-1337590877_thumb.jpg

THIS LAST PIC IS LOOKING FROM IN THE WHEEL WELL. post-58667-0-71537500-1337590944_thumb.jpg

Edited by r32gtrv-spec

gotRICE? - deffintly not a gtst/gtr conversion as behind the right hand headlight where the other intercooler hoses pop thru the chassis is genuine to fit a GTR, not just a dodgy hole cut - IS THERE ANY OTHER WAYS TO TELL IF THE CHASSIS IS FROM A GTST ?

i got no idea why someone has made such a mess with it, all i can assume is perhaps that spot rusted out and/or was replaced poorly with a dodgy cut out peice from another car.. ??

if someone did do a gtst/gtr conversion, the chassis number is for a GTR - im almost tempted to rub back the paint on/around the chassis number, to see if anyone has cut/welded in the area around the chassis number