SAU Community

R33 Questions..

Razon

Thanks alot mate, ill stick with my engine for a bit while, she seems to run fine and doesnt miss so should be good :), i took it to a mechanic a while ago for a inspection and report but he came back and didnt really say a whole lot, just said she ran fine and that only really minor things needed doing like my wheel bearings and suspension/brakes....i was a bit unsure because i was expecting to be told more than just wheel bearings and suspension/brakes...but i guess you never know ?

and i will do!! just got to wait for some light then ill post a few up in this thread, maybe you guys could give me a few opinions on what to do to her exterior :)

yeah its worried me alot about the KM's but i guess if you really love the cars you'll pay for them to be rebuilt if needed so thats the risk i took in the end now im just wondering what to do lol, and yeah im going to get started on the FMIC, do you guys recommend any particular brand/type? its a series 1 and i dont have a big fancy bumper which can fit a intercooler so im not sure if this will be a problem?

basically i want the car as a daily driver but a reliable one will probably only ever see a track once or twice in its life..., once ive finished putting a FMIC,exhaust etc on then i want to upgrade the turbo but not to something ridiculous just a bit quicker spooling/more power....

Yea i do agree with above with the lag comment, r34 gtt smic is a nice upgrade over stock aswell if ur not going for to much power oh and in regards to fmic when if you do eventually get one i personally went with a blitz se (return flow) i have the same front bar as you on my sedan , the front lights (fog lights) in the bar next to the indicator had to be removed as there wasn't enough space (back part which held the globe) though the indicators were fine and some cutting work was involved.

32100710815920929247025.jpg

Edited by Lethal_aussie

you can do a coilover install yourself its not hard, do some research about which ones to go for first, everyone will have an opinion of whats the best, like I went bilstein and whiteline, others go for tein and some even go for other lesser proven brands...

doing all the bushes and replacing coilovers will probably expend quite a few thousand so see how you go with that, if you do all the coilovers, bushes, toe rod ends and remove hicas (if thats your thing) then go get an alignment, then you'll probably be in the markets for rims and tyres and therefore a few more thousand...

just research first, theres heaps of info on these forums, all the questions you are asking have been answered heaps with all sorts of opinions, just find the solutions that work for you based on decent information... remember buy cheap and you'll get cheap and more problems at the end of the day...

where are you located btw?

im located down in tassie...dont really know many people in the scene down here so kinda makes it hard :(

and thanks mate ill try and look for a coilover install guide, i currently have about 3grand to spend on her which im guessing will mostly goto suspension now, will 3grand get me far suspension/steering wise?

ive read up about the Hicas system, is there any particular lock out bar i should look out for? i see alot of no branded ones on ebay etc and im a bit weary about putting them on my car not knowing whos made it...

Yea i do agree with above with the lag comment, r34 gtt smic is a nice upgrade over stock aswell if ur not going for to much power oh and in regards to fmic when if you do eventually get one i personally went with a blitz se (return flow) i have the same front bar as you on my sedan , the front lights (fog lights) in the bar next to the indicator had to be removed as there wasn't enough space (back part which held the globe) though the indicators were fine and some cutting work was involved.

yeah might just leave the FMIC and stuff for now just stick with what you guys suggested, upgrade my suspension/steering then go from there...ahh yeah i get which part you mean on the back of the lights, shouldnt be to much of a problem then... thanks for that! good to know that i can keep my front bar if i choose too lol...

does anybody have any idea on those loom plugs in my second posts picture? i could take a better one today if needed...its plug part is broken and they seemed to have rewired it under the sensor? is this normal?

edit: ive just been searching around looking at suspension parts, i found this kit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Skyline-R33-SUPER-PRO-Front-Rear-Suspension-Bush-Kit-/330744209980?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d01e4223c

would buying something like that then taking it to a suspension place make it cheaper for me in the long run? or am i better off just going to a suspension place for things like bushes etc? never changed suspension on a car before so not sure how i would go changing the coilovers

Edited by Razon

don't be turned off doing a fmic install because of those guys talking about extra lag. the difference is sweet bugger all. a front mount intercooler may add extra volume than the stock cooler, but a decent cooler will flow better than the stock one so what it loses in having to fill a larger space it makes up for by allowing air to flow faster

i think upgrading my suspension/wheel bearings is a smart first move then yeah still debating FMIC....does anybody know what that plug is in the pictures i showed you guys? not the radiator one the other one....its rewired so not sure if its broken but what if it ever does...what does it do?

its ur throttle postion senser,looks to me like theres no wires going to it at all so maybe they have tried to bypass it to get rid of a fault code,no other reason for doin it really.

its ur throttle postion senser,looks to me like theres no wires going to it at all so maybe they have tried to bypass it to get rid of a fault code,no other reason for doin it really.

yeah they rewired it underneath the sensor cant really see from the pictures....thanks for that was wondering on why they had done it...should i try and fix it or just leave it?

regarding TPS,if it aint broken dont fix it, as others have said- get the wheel bearing replaced/suspension repaired and whatever faults the car may have, once your wallet has recovered then suggest you look at light mods after that

yeah im not sure if its broken just noticed that it was rewired so wasnt sure on why that would be so a fault code makes sense, yeah ill get onto the suspension next week and try and get her booked in and see what they can do for me, still undecided on if i should buy parts myself or just let the suspension place do it?

so your saying there is a benefit to having aFMIC with stock turbo and std ECU???

I call bullshit

you can call it what you like, but to say that putting a fmic on a car with stock turbo and ecu suddenly becomes a lag monster (which you pretty much implied in your earlier post) is a bigger load of bullshit. meanwhile, someone who likes giving their car a boost regularly when driving will benefit from a larger intercooler. the stock cooler suffers from heat soak very quickly and easily. you won't really gain power from a fmic, but you won't lose power like you will with a stock cooler. do 5 or 6 dyno runs with a stock cooler and then do the same with a fmic and there will be a greater difference in power with the stock cooler as the intake temps increase from it's lack of cooling

you can call it what you like, but to say that putting a fmic on a car with stock turbo and ecu suddenly becomes a lag monster (which you pretty much implied in your earlier post) is a bigger load of bullshit. meanwhile, someone who likes giving their car a boost regularly when driving will benefit from a larger intercooler. the stock cooler suffers from heat soak very quickly and easily. you won't really gain power from a fmic, but you won't lose power like you will with a stock cooler. do 5 or 6 dyno runs with a stock cooler and then do the same with a fmic and there will be a greater difference in power with the stock cooler as the intake temps increase from it's lack of cooling

true that!!!!!!

I didnt say or mean to imply it would be a 'lag monster' with a FMIC, but there will be a noticeable lag over the std cooler setup.

From my guess on this individuals driving intentions he doesnt sound like he is wanting massive driving sprints or track times or anything of the sorts, sounds like he wants a well sorted daily with decent handling and the occasional squirt...

so I guess you could recommend him wasting money on an FMIC that wont produce anymore power and even though there are probably many thousands of r33 with std cooler driving around without issue and the owners are fine with the heat soak that they arnt even aware of and then also the hassle of having to cut up the front bar...

or he could spend that time and money doing something that will actually get him a noticeable gain in driving pleasure and reliability.

i didn't notice any difference in lag when i put the fmic on my 33, or onto a mates 33. any difference in spool time would've been minimal, almost hard to measure without fancy equipment. having said that, someone using a cheap, nasty ebay spec cooler then they may see a bigger difference, but both me and my mate were using hybrid tube and fin coolers.

i should also note (for the sake of anyone else reading this wondering about the effectiveness of a front mount intercooler vs stock cooler), that even on a cool night, with some spirited driving i could get the whole stock intercooler to feel quite warm, yet with my front mount, even with a lot of spirited driving, such as a few mins on the skid pan which is low speed, high throttle, the engine side of the intercooler was still much cooler than the turbo side.

Its common knowledge that when u install a fmic its a larger volume than the std one and yep it will take longer to pressurise, and cause a tad of lag, this has been discussed many times, i didnt intend to argue but i seriously cant see how that is a valid upgrade on the op car.

All it will do for him going by your statement is stop heat soak if he was to do lots of spirited driving or on a skid pan, he wants a reliable daily, where is the value for money that the fmic will cost?

Im using 76mm thick greddy fmic btw, so its not like im using a cheapy and reporting an issue that decent coolers dont get, its not restriction its simply more volume that creates a small amount of lag

hey guys sorry for a late reply been busy at work, i certainly see where both sides are coming from on the FMIC, i dont think im going to hold off from getting one completely, i think for the moment im probably best off fixing up the suspension/steering/brakes going to go get a quote this week for them and ill post back here with what i come up with and see what you guys reckon with what they quote me..

ill get onto finding a new o2 sensor this week aswell, then hopefully find a way to rewire up the other broken plug....should i try and plug the existing o2 sensor back in to see if it works? or could i risk car damage doing that? surely a reason on why it was unplugged the only thing i notice on the existing o2 sensor is both plugs are cracked/bit burnt (rubbing on the turbo im guessing) so no idea on why they was unplugged in the first place..

i barely noticed lag with my blitz fmic (but i did notice it regardless and didn't care because i always wanted a fmic :) when i had it done it was the 2nd mod i had done (from stock) at the time, but i was advised to get one due to i was upping the boost from stock and a fmic would be recommended to avoid risk of detonation and increase power gain etc .. (was told) i think its a must have if your planning on running more boost (regardless if turbo is stock) but that's my opinion meh

I had a dodgy 02 at one stage which made my car run rich as all hell , wont damage the car just might run like a dog and use a heap of fuel something you want to replace as soon as you can regardless though. If the plugs are that damaged even get a hold of some plugs from the wreckers and rewire it

Edited by Lethal_aussie

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys sorry been flat out moving house so havent had the net, ive ordered a o2 sensor which should be coming soon so ill try and get that in asap then after that will book her in for a suspension job...can anyone recommend what to get done? obviously going to get bushes done when im doing it but what is a list of everything thats definitely worth doing other than whats previously been said wheel bearings,bushes.... and what it would roughly cost....

also i noticed the last couple times ive refilled at the petrol station that when i turn my car off and keep going my car makes a strange loud noise...its comes from the engine bay under high revs i guess it kinda sounds like air in the engine? someone said its my clutch fan?

Edit: Also rims!! does anyone know of a good place to buy rims that suit a skyline? (or anyone thats selling some) they are going on a white skyline so still deciding whether to go black rims on it or find some other ones

Edited by Razon