SAU Community

sound deadening (r33) front doors

ferni

I've had a read on previous posts, but still not sure WHERE to sound deaden my doors.

At the moment i have crap sony speakers in my doors, I'm keen to upgrade them soon to something half decent - focal/boston splits etc... but for now i have a few rattles in my door i'd like to get rid of and prepare it for some better speakers...

I'm not going for a comp system, just something that sounds ok and doesn't rattle :D

In the r33 door where should i be concentrating my sound deadening on

There is the Metal door outer panel, in front of that there is the inner metal panel/peice and then the clear plastic stuff and then the door trim itself...

where should i be placing sound deadening? should i be taking the clear plastic stuff off and throwing it away (whats the purpose of it?) should i be placing strips? or big squares? should i be covering over holes etc... or going around them?

any help much appreciated :)

mount the speakers in side the doors and have them pushed up against wood panels or some form of solid thick 2" thing. ive got alpine 6" splits against a solid wood (it looks like) block all the way across, sounds sweet as

was done by garys car radio in preston, these dudes rock

speak to rodney if you wannt a good deal

paulr33 - when you say have the speakers pushed up against wood panels, which part of the speaker? - any photos? i'm a bit confused to what you mean

are you still using the stock plastic speaker pods?

paulr33 - thanks for getting photos (when you do)

i'm still trying to understand where the wood/mdf is in relation to the speaker?

I'm not sure about the 33 specifically as my car is a 32.

You will need to throw the plastic sheet away and clean the outside of the inner doorskin and the inside of the outer doorskin with prepsol so the deadener can stick.

Measure your chosen speaker for mounting hole size and depth.

Watch the space where you are going to put the speaker while you wind the window up and down to make sure the window and winder mechanism won't hit the magnet.

Check the clearance behind the speaker with the window wound down.

If the original speaker was in a plastic pod you could reuse it if the new speaker will fit but if it can't be modified to take the new speaker remove it and cut an MDF baffle with a hole for the speaker and screw it to the door sealing behind it. It should be at least 12mm thick but may need to be thicker so the magnet can clear the window.

Refit the doortrim at this point to check position and clearance between the speaker and factory grille.

You can probably use the factory grille for a steath install or remove the grille and use MDF to pack behind it and mount the new speaker through the hole over the outside of the doortrim.

The most important thing is you mount the speaker solidly and seal any gaps.

Apply a sound deadener sheet like Serenity max or a sprayon deadener to the inside of the outer doorskin.

Cover as much as you can but it's not essential to do it all.

Bang the door with your fist to find any rattles that need special attention.

Seal up all your service holes in the inner doorskin with 3 or 6mm MDF. Coat the back of the MDF panels with resin or estapol to stop them getting wet.

Hold them in place with a few small screws and Sikaflex 227.

It's hard to seal up the holes the rods come through. It's most important to seal the holes closest to the speaker.

Unclip wires etc but note where they go.

Now cover the whole inner doorskin with deadener.

If you have any deadener left over it might help to put some around the speaker area on the backof the doortrim to reduce vibrations.

Put it all back together and enjoy.