SAU Community

Need Help - asap

Well,

i was putting cam gears intoday and i dropped one of those little washers from the clear timing cover rubber seal ( i just dropped one of the metal washers ) into the bottom of my Timing belt.. will this do any damage to my car. i cant seem to get it out since it just fell right in. where the belt goes all the way down. wouldve it somehow fell down onto the tray at the bottom of the car ? im scared to turn on the car now since it might somehow get jammed..

Somoone please help me . any sorta metal picking up things . i cant visually see it but im 99% sure its in there unless it somehow goes onto the tray then its allright.

OMG! i cant explain it. i dont think anything can go there. the washer is BRASS ?

you know where the belt goes i removed it to fiddle around with the cam gears etc and i was playing around with the rubber and one of the washers fell out.

does it mean my timing is out now ?

Also there is like 2 wheels on each side at the bottom thats where it fell i cant actually see it. i was curious if that area was sealed ( so that means it would be stuck in there ) or if it was open so that would mean its on the bottom where the tray for changing oil etc is... dont wanna even bother turning it on! 1 little washer.. pissing me off man!

ANYONE ? sydneykid might know what im talking about ?

well where the cam timing belt goes. down the bottom. is that area sealed off ? or should i just get a hose and poar some water and try make it fall down. if it falls that will tell me its not closed off etc.

DOES ANYON KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!! THIS IS A GT-R and i cant risk anything here :rant: LOL

if by this:

or if it was open so that would mean its on the bottom where the tray for changing oil etc is...

you mean the sump, then is it that hard to remove the sump on your car and clean it out so you can see wether or not its fallen into the sump?. or if the washer is small enough it might come out the sump plug hole if your very lucky.

before you do any disassembling though id do a very very thorough search of the ground below and around your car and the whole engine bay.

is it possible for you to get pics so others can get a better understanding of whats happened?

man, my camera stuffed up! ...

ok do you know where the cam gears go ? just look directly down thats where it fell. illl fill that place up with water and if water leaks it means the washer has fallen. it water fills up them im stuffed since i know that the washer is stuck in there. hopefully its just lieght enuf for it to float :rant:

I might be able to offer 2c. I'm *99%* sure it's sealed from the engine internals,so there's no danger of it getting into the engine,but if by chance it flicks up into the cam belt when the motors running,it could get between the belt and the pulley,and make the belt jump teeth or something,so I'd say to pull the lower part of the cam belt cover off,and make sure it's the washer does no harm.Think you'll need to remove the water pump,and the crank pulley to do this...

Unless,you can loosen all the lower cover bolts,and carefully get a screwdriver or something between it and lever it off the block a bit,enough for the washer to drop out...assuming it's going to be in the right spot to do that.....hope that makes sence.

did u fix it?

dont put water there! any liquid coming into contact with the timing belt will significantly reduce its life.

it would be stuck behind the lower timing belt cover, remove that and get it out, because it might get stuck between the timing belt and teeth, which might damage the belt.

Jesus christ! Its not in the sump ffs. its fallen between the idler and tensioner pulley and on top of the crank sprocket, or below it. I definately wouldnt turn the engine over until I got it out. As suggested, use a magnetic tip bolt grabber thing. If you cant get it out, this might mean taking the belts off and the sprocket covers to get at it. bitch of a job.

-rb25

and wtf is this about putting water down there! DO NOT DO THIS.

Also if this is one of the washers off the inlet cam sprocket, you will need it to space the CAS off the sprocket correctly or it will chew the CAS out.

-rb25