SAU Community

THIS LOW RPM ENGINE STALLING SAGA POSSIBLY SORTED

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more problem for me :) Thanks for the tip boostmeister!!

Turns out my problem was the fuel pressure dropping. When it would get really low the car would try to stall and when I tried to accelerate there wouldn't be enough pressure, so it took a while to build that up, explaining the hesitation.

Put the earth from the fuel pump into a new place in the boot and straight away had a constant reading on the fuel pressure gauge. Took the 180 for a drive and it worked perfectly for the first time in a few months!

The pump is pretty stuffed and must be on its way out if this has happened... it's all good though as a bigger and better Bosch pump is finding a new home in my car :burnout:

Guys, this might sound stupid (sounds like it) but how do you access the fuel pump and the earth wire (R33 GTST). Also, where can i get a fuel pressure gauge/tester, to see if pressure is actually dropping when I'm taking off from first gear??

To date, possible causes are

1- Fuel pump

2- AAC valve (whats that?)

3- BOV

4- Computer??

I know my problem is not 3 & 4... working on 1 & 2 if I know how to. Thanks all

Will this fix work for 33's

i have an aftemarket ecu and the problem is still there some various tuners have not fixed it.

I have just bumped the idle up for the mean time so the car does not stall ... but when the a/c is on its a bit ifish sometimes have to hit the accelerator to keep it going.

I've had the stock BOV before (vent back to turb) and the car still had the same problem. I think its a fuel pump thing... I've got a microtech, and that suppose to have fixed this stalling problem. Not quite.... Sending the ECU back for check at the moment. WIll keep you up to date.

Cant believe so many ppl have this problem! Cant really enjoy the car this way..too dangerous. Just imagine taking a corner, dropping it from 4 to 2nd gear. The car then stalls and the steering wheel locks up (power steering shuts down when car is dead). Result - oversteer and down the cliff *shudder*.

We've got a microtech as well but that hasn't done a great deal to fix it - it may need better tuning but as ive said before ive bumped the idle up to 200rpm and it doesnt stall at all

Let me know how you go

with the higher idle the fuel diff is no difference .. our car (bubz+Mark0) was shit before the idle change and its still shit :)

so the idle is heaps better now i run the car at bout 1000rpm on idel.. and while it still drops it does not stall at all now.. ;)

when there is a proper fix i will do it but till then this makes the car nice and drivable.

Even with the aircon on the car does not stall now...huge bonus ;)

Guest Works Auto

I have heard of a few people doing the mod that boostmeister has said. They report great results .... speaking of more power when changing gears and getting back on the throttle... because there is no point where the fuel pump goes back onto idle mode...

I been meaning to do it for a while , might do it this week.

Also changing a fuel pump or doing any fuel sytem mods on a r33 is a ***ing nightmare. Im so glad i bought a r32

Guest <NIS_02>

To fix The stalling problem with your cars, all u need to do is disconnect he battery, press the brakes pedal till theres no charge left, then reconnect battery, and take ur car for a hard run up your street asap, this will rest your ECU and advance the timing a little which = no more stalling and a more responsive car!! :P

Well, I've got my microtech ECU back, and the guys have the retuned it so that the volatile idling (up and down between 400 and 800rpm, especially with A/C on) is fixed.

However, the car still loses a lot of fuel pressure on take off from first gear..ie rev drops dramatically on releasing the clutch. Wonder if the guys at Tilbrooks can fix this anomaly...

Hey cowboy .. who did u send you ecu to ???

i have a microtech aswell and have the same issue as i said above my temp fix was to idle a bit faster so the car dont stall when the idle drops.

What sorta setup you got there and what ecu (model)