SAU Community

Aftermarket Camshafts And Injectors

i hate rav 4's

Hello again,

I was chasing some info on what camshafts - aftermarket - are good for an r32 GTR? If you put in just cams does any other aspect of the motor need to be changed as well? Was also thinking about getting bigger injectors so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Depends on what you are chasing as to what you can/should get. If you are after mega power than an injector upgrade would/should be on the cards. Are you going onto e85 fuel? Bigger turbos?

Yeah as Krishy said bud.

Changing cams over needs to be at the bottom of your list. Plenty other things you should look at first.

Bigger injectors, fuel pump, ECU upgrade, better fmic, exhaust, bigger cans (actuators) (or even bigger turbos) then take it to Willalls and get the thing tuned.

Then you'll have to start thinking about oil catch cans, etc.

Unless you've already got all the above, don't even worry about cams yet.

Cheers guys, I ordered a set of 550cc injectors and I wasn't going to worry about cams. However I was getting the head pressure tested and they found a hairline crack in one of the standard cams. So I thought that I would get aftermarket ones instead of a pair standard ones. I got a catch can and oil cooler. I hadn't planned on engine work but wanna get it right this time. Just planned to run on premium with a set of n1 turbos later down the track.

If you are going to have to replace the cams than I guess it will be worthwhile looking into some aftermarket ones but for just an upgrade for upgrade's sake is not worth it :)

Ok cheers for the advice, I'll keep looking around. One of these days it'll be back on the road and i'm sure the increasingly longer wait will be worth it.

If you need a replacement intake side camshaft, I have one sitting in my shed I can part with - have an exhaust side too but the half moon is snapped off so probably can't sell that one

-D

If you need a replacement intake side camshaft, I have one sitting in my shed I can part with - have an exhaust side too but the half moon is snapped off so probably can't sell that one

-D

Cheers for that mate but, it's the exhaust cam that is cracked. With my small amount of expertise, was looking at maybe a set of Tomei Poncam type a or b.

Yeah I picked up the oil cooler off of here last week after it was suggested and saved a bit in the process. What do you think about 'rust marks'? Be good being in Adelaide as well.

I don't know about the rust issue - you'd probably be best off asking a mechanic/engineer what can be done about that

-D

There are heaps of cheap oil coolers on the market nowadays mate. Just have to shop around and keep a look out. As I said before, personally, I won't be using any second hand coolers. Get a cheap china copy cooler for a couple of hundred bucks. I have been running mine for almost 3 years now without any issues so far. Has done a couple of track days and has no skipped a beat. Keeps the oil cool :D