SAU Community

Brake Fluid

t5iv

It's that time... Need to change the fluid. Have done a fair bit of research on the topic but can't make my mind up! So let's take it to the group. What works well for you guys? I, sticking to dot 4. Thanks for the input!

as in the : http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/346667-servicing-your-v35-list-of-whats-needed/ the best i have used and still use is Penrite SIN 600 (super DOT 4) realisticaly brake fluid is still brake fluid you will only see minor differences but for the best results i do recomend either the Penrite 600 or MOTUL.

For a normal road car, you will be fine with a decent qualtiy 'off the shelf' dot4 fluid.

If you do any track work, or other driving which requires excessive repeated braking, then go with a higher spec fluid with a higher boiling point.

Thanks for the input. Wasn't sure if Penrite was the way to go. Little sceptical after their motor oil assisted in blowing up my previous SR20... :/

Pretty sure the Penrite Sin 600 is in the DIY servicing list of oils to use for our car, that's where i got it from

My brother-in-law linked me to this a while ago.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

While it's specifically for engine oil, it just shows you how 'expensive' brands can absolutely suck.. So, it's good to do your research! I usually put Mobil One Gold bottle in, and the chunk that was left was the biggest there! I'll be going for Royal Purple next time..

As for brake fluid. TRW GP600 Brake Fluid is what I normally use.

My brother-in-law linked me to this a while ago.

http://www.animegame...Oil%20Tests.pdf

While it's specifically for engine oil, it just shows you how 'expensive' brands can absolutely suck.. So, it's good to do your research! I usually put Mobil One Gold bottle in, and the chunk that was left was the biggest there! I'll be going for Royal Purple next time..

As for brake fluid. TRW GP600 Brake Fluid is what I normally use.

that link is great !

But not vq35de specific.. Royal Purple is actually not that great in our engines.

Mobil 1 and shell rotella t6 seem to do well.

Interesting read, but not really relavant, you can't just do one test and then proclaim the oil that performed best in that test as the most appropriate oil for any engine without testing all other conditions the oil will face inside an engine. Especially if the test conditions exceed any conditions found in an engine.

I usually use Mobil 1 0w40 (the gold bottle) or Royal Purple 5w30. Works well in the car - she seems to like it. With both I can do 10k km and have the oil still looking fairly good by the end.

^^ I have heard people suggest you are better off using a good quality dino oil and changing it more often, than using a expensive synthetic and changing less often..

Depends on what the intervals are. Synthetic left in there for 20k kms will turn to liquid faeces. Crappy spec oil will do tops 5k i reckon.

However if you're doing changes at $60/bottle every 5000kms it works out to be more exxy than $100/bottle at 10000kms. Both will be in very similar condition at the end of their relative lives.

However, if you speak to Harold at Performancelub.com you can get 5qts of Royal Purple for about $70 or Mobil 1 for $65. WIN!