SAU Community

Question About Red Light Cameras And Unregistered Vehicles

dalv

Hey guys, just some questions:

1) Can red light cameras scan for any unregistered cars that past, or do they only detect a car once a red light/speeding offence has occured.

2) If a car were to drive towards an intersection where a red light camera is postioned, and that car turns left at the slip lane instead of proceeding straight ahead, is the red light camera still able to scan that particular car's number plate to see if it is unregistered.

3) If that same car that turned left at the slip lane onto a main road where there is another red light camera positioned behind, can that camera on the main road scan the car's plate, even though the car did not pass the intersection area for that particular camera.

4) Can someone further explain how the 7 day grace period works for unregistered cars detected by traffic cameras.

Cheers!

Edited by dalv

If you got snapped, you got snapped. I don't know if they can detect unregoed cars but even if they don't, they snap a unregistered car with plates, they look up database to find out who owns the car to send the fine and they will find out either way. Perhaps if its not your car or your car but ran out of rego, I'd assume the fine would be sent to the last registered owner for the plates.

just register your dam car

the 7 day grace period would be for insurance for leway for fines

12:01am of being unregistered you can be fined

I asked about that one rego office said your car is expired close of biz the day it expires !!

not sure because Ive heard both , the ex got fined even when it was paid earlier in the day via net and she had receipt # with her

The cameras can scan anything in the lens view it doesnt wait for happy snaps

Patrol cars can as well and interstate they scan mobile targets from 3 directions on patrol cars so your farked

Edited by Carbon 34

Just register it... You should never drive unregistered.

My partner works for Motor Accident Commission in Insurance in CTP and I hear the stories (without personal details of course) of people who crashed into someone that had no CTP insurance covering them. It can cost you 100's and 100's of thousands of dollars that you are liable for. They will take all of your assets and garnish your wage for the next 2 decades to pay for it....

There are now about 23 Safe-T-Cams located in the metro area that can scan the plate of a car. These are not red light cameras or fixed speed cameras. With that said many of the new camera models installed in the past 6 months now also have the tech to scan and report real time along with the T-Cam models.

If you cant afford to register your car then don't own one :wacko:

Exactly !!

Dont like big brother watching but spew when I used to park next to a large number of unregistered cars in the noarlunga area

(During the regosticker days )if i did it i would be done ? Guess some people dont care ?

The redlight cams are pure money makers not safety ( damn near rear ended many times by cars slowing down to 50 to be "safe " fine free and me hitting the brakes last second when it turns yellow , watching my mirrors for tyre smoke from tailgaters!) dont even get me started lol

Funny enough it was alway a given in the usa if you got hit , the person had "NO" insurance and rarely a license , and no fault insurance makes it worse ( it even had 10grand fine and loss of license !!)

Seems the same here ?? except sa has fault insurance

Cheers for the cautionary words of warning regarding CTP insurance, but since rego of mentioned vehicle was only expired by one day, I don't think it is of much relevance in answering my question - sadly just like the rest of your input.

Well if you don't like our input then go to Google and find out for your self :)

The problem is the very fact that you have to ask the questions you are...

If you don't go over the speed limit and don't run red lights then you will not have any problems plus keeping your vehicle up to code, reg current and maintained and obey the law then you would not need to ask the posed questions.

You will not find to many people on here that are compassionate towards people who drive cars unregistered (even if by one day), that have non roadworthy vehicles (ie no upkeep on brakes tyres etc) or who drive or act in a way that bring skylines into ill repute.

End friendly rant :)

Must be the geek in me but I reckon its easier then getting off ones chair going out side and having a look

I never looked at my rego disc just always knew when the paperwork came I had 4 weeks to pay the bill

I just set a reminder in my phone calendar and email outlook calendar.

You also have to remember that under the law that their is no defence in court for driving an unregistered vehicle, even if it is not yours. With regards to a court considering Sub judice (Latin for 'under judgement') their is no defence that can absolve guilt except for some very extenuating circumstances such as an emergency where termination of a human life is likely... Hmmm and that is about the only excuse from memory...

So in short if your about to get pulled over for unregistered by the local LEO's make sure you have a passenger and stab him in the leg with a pen. Bonus points if you hit an artery as that will really make it believable and sell the story of an emergency hospital trip...

Hahaha :domokun:

Must be the geek in me but I reckon its easier then getting off ones chair going out side and having a look

I never looked at my rego disc just always knew when the paperwork came I had 4 weeks to pay the bill

Geeks rock :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Must be the geek in me but I reckon its easier then getting off ones chair going out side and having a look I never looked at my rego disc just always knew when the paperwork came I had 4 weeks to pay the bill

But what if someone needs to borrow another's vehicle, and they don't have internet access with them at the time. What then...

Oh and I always checked my rego sticker whenever I washed my car, before

Edited by dalv

But what if someone needs to borrow another's vehicle, and they don't have internet access with them at the time. What then...

Oh and I always checked my rego sticker whenever I washed my car, before

without the sticker, you just have to assume its not registered. pessimism pays in this instance

which cavemen dont have phones with internet these days? or a maccas down the road to get free wifi?

Edited by Deep Dish V35