SAU Community

Will This Fix My Wheel Scrubbing Issue

Hi guys,

I've got a s2 r33 gts-t with a wheel scrubbing issue up front.

Components wise here's what I've got on there:

18 x 9.5 +38 with 15mm bolt on spacers (think this makes it effectively +23?)

Sydneykid bilstein/whiteline coilovers

245 wide tyres

Guards rolled

The scrubbing occurs when I hit a big bump, when I transition a lot of weight onto one wheel (high speed cornering) or say if I'm going downhill and turn hard and transition onto one side etc. I think from looking at the markings on the guards, that the main issue is because this wheel and tyre combo edge sits in line with the outer guard edge, so there's not a lot of travel distance needed to make contact and relatively soft suspension. Here are some pics of where the wheel sits and the markings:

2012-11-12%2017.30.02.jpg

2012-11-12%2017.30.12.jpg

2012-11-12%2017.30.47.jpg

I have thought about doing

Stiffer coilovers

Front camber arms/bush kit

Try fit thinner tyres on same rims

Thinner rims/thinner tyres

Is it possible with some combination of neg camber and smaller width tyres to fix this, or will I need to go to a smaller rim & tyre combo only?

Ideally I'd have an 18 x 8.5 +30 on there without the spacers, but this is the most expensive option, so I thought I'd ask some experts on here first if it's possible to work with what I have.

Cheers.

Edited by copycutter

I've got 18x9.5 +20 with a 235 tyre and lowered on my 33. I have fairly stiff suspension and no rubbing what so ever in hard high speed cornering and all. Maybe try and get the guards lipped and it might give u more clearance. It's fairly cheap. Maybe 50 a corner

Ditch the spacer, or you can go camber arms and add some negative camber (doesnt look like ur running much camber at all), just depends how much camber would be required, looks like 2.5-3 degrees may do the trick and isn't too crazy? Or lastly the most expensive option of thinner rims. My advice is ditch the spacers if possible (or get thinner spacers)

I've got 18x9.5 +20 with a 235 tyre and lowered on my 33. I have fairly stiff suspension and no rubbing what so ever in hard high speed cornering and all. Maybe try and get the guards lipped and it might give u more clearance. It's fairly cheap. Maybe 50 a corner

His guards are already rolled

lose the 15mm spacers, looks like theres 15mm odd of rim sticking out, just see how well the rim clears the suspension arms etc, on the inside of the arch

hahaha We msg'ed at the same time, The only option left is different rim with smaller offset.

What size are your brakes? how do 18" not clear the brakes?

Edited by badben

They're just stock brakes, but for some reason the +38's spokes design on the CR Kai means the spokes hit the edge of the brake caliper. I've tried 5mm slip ons - still fouls. It's just the shallow design that comes with that offset. I've got 9.5 +20's on the rear and I had to initially run them up front until I got the front spacers, and they cleared easily. I've never seen bolt on spacers in 7-8mm and I'm not real keen on slip ons, especially over 5mm.

The answer is as simple as it always has been.

Only use wheels that SUIT ALL ASPECTS OF THE FITMENT. That includes brake clearance.

No point having pretty wheels that make the little girls' pants fall off if you have to fit stupid spacers to make them work.

Depends on spoke design as we'll as offset. You will need to test fit the rims unless someone else on here has run those exact rims on there r33 and can advise. Cheap option, camber arms. Expensive option different rims

Going off your pic's, your car has good clearance around tyres, maybe suspensions to soft. Allowing to much travel.

Just so you know camber arms will make your tyres wear unevenly so you'll need to do regular tyre swaps, Front to back , left to right depending on if your tyres are directional or asymmetrical

yeah guard doesn't look very rolled to me at all

judging by where that scubbing mark is on whatever corner that under guard pic was taken you'd have no problem if they were rolled properly

also looks like you could do with dialing in some negative camber

Edited by mystery_kid