SAU Community

Rb25 Timing Belt Problem

nickperth

Hey hows it going, ive got issues with my new timing belt which ive put on my rb25 33 skyline

I have an issue as were when i do a few turn overs the engine my timing belt starts to slide off from the cams off my car. I want to know if this is normal, at first i thought it might be due to the new idle bearing and tensioner pulley however i reused the new one and it caused the same problem, now ive torqued up the tensioner fine however i noticed the idle bearing and tensioner arnt exactly alligned as i mean the idler is more pushed in closer to then engine and the tensioner is a bit more out from the engine, which im thinking it could be the cause off it moving.

i want to know what could possibly causing it to slip off the cam gears or is that normal, cause i have made sure all the nuts and washers are there, and there is no missing washers which could be causing this. however i did notice when i took off my original timing belt the idle bearing was scured with only a few threads, cause currently the idler is secured all the way in.

I got a video off the timing belt slipping off. I have made sure as well that all the timing marks are lined up and there 100% on.

Without reading the whole thing. This happens if u miss out a washer the idler pulley. Or accidentally added a washer to the idler pulley.

Check the alignment if the idler and tensioners. Adjust as required

Hey hows it going, i pulled down the pulleys and checked it all over again and im 100% sure that ive lined it up exactly as the r33 engine manual says and have made sure all the washers are there with the diagram showing each part.

However i have taken a photo of the pulleys and theres possibly one reason why its off mark i believe its the tensioner and its a bit unalinged and i noticed the idler bearing is a bit more in towards the block and the tensioner is a bit more out is this normal?

I just want to know if you guys see anything wrong in these photos, it would be greatly appreciated.

post-66618-0-69692100-1354004731_thumb.jpg

post-66618-0-33753100-1354004777_thumb.jpg

post-66618-0-46606800-1354004819_thumb.jpg

post-66618-0-43054100-1354004859_thumb.jpg

post-66618-0-66574200-1354004996_thumb.jpg

post-66618-0-27936600-1354005023_thumb.jpg

post-66618-0-63574500-1354005060_thumb.jpg

Tensioner looks like it's at an angle (no it shouldn't be) - It looks like the tensioner stud is bent (have you replaced it?)- either that or the tang for the spring is caught in between tensioner and block like jiffo mentioned, though now i don't think so as it would only looked cock when you did it up. Put a photo up of the the tensioner stud (without the tensioner on it) relative to the idler pulley.

Btw i havent replaced the stud

My guess is that you're going to need to, get oem nissan. I wouldn't think you need a washer to space the idler out though, it looks to me like the angle on the tensioner is what's pushing the belt off

Edited by doo doo

Well ive fixed the issue with the misallignhment turns out one of the washers was the wrong one, and for just in case i replaced the engine stud and the the belt lines up quite nicely.

However i do have another issue unfortunetly, one of the drive belts the one that runs the alternator, got containmainted with coolant which i believe it is squeaking quite a high pitched sound, however i decieded to clean it and i used the wrong stuff for it which was break cleaner which i know shouldnt of, and i should of used warm water and soap. However i decieded to buy a new belt and got a dyco one for $15 i installed it yesterday and now it makes the same squeak, is there a chance i possibly contamiainted the pulleys as well cause when i was spraying i sprayed on the pulleys as well.

I want to know if i take out the radiator and everything and i wash down the pulleys and with warm water and soap should this get rid of the contaiminaton and stop the squeaking.

Because i know that its the altenator/water pump belt as when i loosen tension on the belt, the high pitched squeaking stops and goes away, however the battery light comes on indicating the alternator is providing poor current and power supply.