SAU Community

Bump In Left Rear

cherring

I've noticed on my car a weird bumping / knocking? noise when I get off the accelerator. I've attached a sound recording of it, almost straight away there is abumping noise in amongst the road noise, best I could get by putting my iPhone in the back seat and doing a voice recording. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

Memo.mp3

Checked my car this morning, the wheels nuts on the left rear were loose, haven't been for a drive yet to confirm that was the noise, but I'd say it will be. Glad it might have been a simple problem to fix. Terrified that wheel nuts were loose, will be keeping an eye on that.

Could have been due to the centre hole size of the wheel being too large for the car. Don't actually know what it's called, but had this issue on my civic and it basically rattles the wheel nuts loose over time. I just went into Bridgestone and got rubber spacers that pack the around the centre hub bit to make a perfect fit for the rim, did the trick and was $30 fitted on the spot.

Hope that helps if it's a recurring issue!

As others have said, it sounds like you might be missing hub centric rings.

The studs affix the wheel to the hub but the centre bore locates (centres) the wheel.

The centre bore of a skyline is 66mm, and you will need hub rings or as mad082 said "egg rings".

They are available from ebay, you will need to check what centre bore the rims have and get the corresponding ring to fit over. For example Enkei RPF1's have a centre bore of 73mm therefore you would need a 73/66 ring, however make sure it is for a Nissan, cause other cars have a similar bore e.g. Holden has 66.9mm.

Edited by Grimesy