SAU Community

Gear Box Noise

Can anyone tell me wot the grinding noise from my gear box is I can only hear it wen I'm sitting in neutral idoling n wen I put my foot on the clutch it goes away?

I would say gearbox input bearing.. slight gear noise is normal, if it is loud, then it is probably a bearing.

Clutch thrust bearing would be noisy with the clutch in.

Hey guys ive heard that its a bearing or something like that as well as that these engines/gearboxs are noisy like that....ive the same issue with my car it sounds like bolts clattering or something lkke that it goes away when i put the clutch in as well

^^ true, if the factory dual Mass Flywheel has been replaced by a standard flywheel, it will make the gearbox very noisy at idle or low speed.

I can hear some gear noise in mine with the clutch out at idle, but it really isn't bad, and no worse than any other RWD manual I have driven (FWD don't seem to be as noticable, probably because the transmission isn't underneath you..)

yeah as mentioned it is usually one of two things. either the thrust bearing (a small bering that takes the load of the friction plate - usually dies alot earlier if you choose to sit at the lights with your foot on the clutch the whole time)...... or the input shaft bearings which die from aggressive gearbox use. a much more expensive thing to fix.

Thanks for all the help everyone,I'm pretty sure it has the standard flywheel in it the car was stock as a rock wen I got it with about 97k on the clock.

I sometimes drive hard but never abusive I baby the transmission n car wen just pottering around town,does anyone know how much I'm looking at to get it fixed,and how hard us it to change the fluid on these boxes.

gearbox oil is easy to change.. although even easier if you have a hoist... remove the filler plug on the side, remove the drain plug on the bottom and let it drain.. refit the drain plug, fill via the side filler hole until the oil reaches the filler hole.. refit filler plug..

If it needs a new gearbox input bearing.. that is a whole lot more work..

Edited by sonicii

I've heard Amsoil is the best to use, before that i heard Redline is the best. I have just filled my already stuffed gearbox with Redline and there is literally no change whatsoever, i have just ordered myself a brand new gearbox and i'm going to be filling that with 75w90 Amsoil gearbox oil. I have been quoted a 6 hour job to remove and replace gear, install clutch and flywheel.

Is it possible just to change the noisy bearing

Sure, but if it is a gearbox input bearing, there is a lot of work involved to access that bearing, and therefore a lot of labour costs for a relativly cheap bearing.. so you have to ask yourself, do you perform a full rebuild while it is apart, so you don't end up with another bearing or syncros failing a few months down the track and having to pay all that labour $$ again.

Then of course, when you look at the cost of a full rebuild, you need to consider the price of a new gearbox instead..

Unless of course you are a mechanic and can do all the work yourself..