SAU Community

R33 Losing Power After 3-4 Grand

LoZzNgA

Hey All

Just wondering if anyone can help me, just had a new clutch installed then my machanic noticed a part was broken in my car,at the front of the engine and was leaking oil. i cant remember the name of it so im hoping someone here can help me as now my car is driving like shit and losing power almost in every gear. ive noticed it blows black smoke too when it never did before.

He got the part second hand so im just wondering if the part is dodgy and thats why i am now losing power, or maybe its a fuel problem

Heres some Pcs of the part

post-29817-0-54703300-1357634840_thumb.jpgpost-29817-0-37429300-1357634914_thumb.jpgpost-29817-0-66612900-1357634998_thumb.jpg

The number on the part is 3Y26

Thanks

:action-smiley-069:

Yep that's the VCT thingo

Should hear it click on around 1500rpm and clicks back off at 4500 or something.

If its broken it will cause it to lose power for sure.

What's the power loss feel like?

Any jumping etc when coming onto boost

Have you had it tuned or anything else been changed?

nope havent had anything else done to it, machanic installed new clutch welded a hole in the exhaust then fitted a second hand vvt.

when i drive it it does jump and splutter a bit sometimes kicks back in but not really,just picked it up from the machanic today so havent drove it too much , but it is really bad when it idles it sits on 1- 1/2 grand

Explain the loss in power?

Because if it's just slower now the before then it could be the VCT but if it's more of a splutter and jumping around 3-4 grand then it could be spark plugs, coil packs or RNR (rich and retarded) which is caused by running more boost then the stock ECU is used to

the loss in power is in pretty much every gear and if i try to put my foot down in any gear it starts to jump and splutter and cut out, im going to get my machanic to change the spark plugs and maybe even the fuel filter and see how that goes , he got quoted for a new vct from nissan $380 and a 4 week wait from japan =( so i think thats my only option atm

sucks just spent 2g on a new clutch and i cant even drive it lol

Hi

Mine is doing exactly the same thing, i put a boost control on and it started happening soon after, i've now took the boost control back off but it's still doing it, i've tried all sorts to fix it, read up on here and i'm going to change the plugs to see if that works, what plugs are best? i've read on here to use NGK BCPR6ES-11, but the plugs i've got in are platinum.

Any help is appreciated,

Robbo.

yeah the bcpr6es is probably one of the most popular with rb's, if not the most popular. general consensus is usually that platinums are a complete waste of money, especially on tuned engines which will chew out plugs regardless what type they are.

Hi

Mine is doing exactly the same thing, i put a boost control on and it started happening soon after, i've now took the boost control back off but it's still doing it, i've tried all sorts to fix it, read up on here and i'm going to change the plugs to see if that works, what plugs are best? i've read on here to use NGK BCPR6ES-11, but the plugs i've got in are platinum.

Any help is appreciated,

Robbo.

hey dude your coilpacks have likely developed an issue due to being old and the increase in boost, as for the plugs it depends what sort of boost your planning to run once you fix the issue if your running less than 12 psi keep the heat range at 6 (bcpr6es) or if your going to run over 12 psi run bcpr7es.

I would put a new set of plugs in dont get the -11 on the end just get bcpr6es or 7es. if you still have trouble change the coilpacks from a mates car etc (or buy new ones)