SAU Community

M35 Boot Latch Motor Replacement Help

ClassOne

Can anyone give me tips on how to get access to the boot latch motor?

My boot intemitantly doesn't work, I've replaced the control module , and no change.

It's either the button or the micro switch on the motor .

But the plastic under the interior cover is moulded 1 piece and the gas strut and hinges all bolt through that plastic.

Tries to pop off the lower tail gate outer which is plastic, but I'm to the point where I'm going to break the clips that hold it in.

Anyone got any knowledge of this?

I'm pretty much out of ideas .

Taking the whole tail gate off the car to change the motor just seem really dumb, I'd expect that from KiA or Hyundai

Hey mate ive completed this and what a .... of a job it is. Ok 1st take off the inside boot carpet untill you can see motor. On bottom off boot where it latches there are 3 star screws that have to be removed. On inside off boot cover there are 3 bolts from memory that. Need to be removed aswell. Next you need to pop out the outsude boot panel a little bit as there is a support mount with 2 bolts in there. This bit is really fiddly.No you dont need to remove the whole panel. Next you will have to unclip wires and seperate the boot latch

inside the boot door to remove. To fit new replacement you will have to seperate unit into 2 and reverse the last previous steps to install. The support in lower outside boot panel i didnt bother re installing as it was too anoying. Hope this helps. Its a anoying and fiddly job but well worth the effort . I hated opening boot via inside latch before i did this.

Edited by joshm35

Thanks josh, sounds like a royal biatch!

If I can remove the lower boot panel in the outside I'd have clean access, I've take off the clips on the trailing edge so I can see under it a little, but I just don't want to break all the clips that hold the rest if that panel in.

You have that same problem?

Sorry about my bad spelling above, kinda paint a bad picture.. was on my phone as well.

Ive got another motor and module here, changed the module and the issue is still there, now for the motor, if its not the motor then its the button... please dont be the button!!!

ill attempt to pop the lower outer panel off.. i swear i was going to break it yesterday ...

Thanks for the tips guys.. will let you know how i go.

So I got the job done,

Got the latch mech out in one piece , I took some pics of the process to show how it's done, because if you don't know it's a real pain doing it.

Will post them up with a brief description so the next guy can have it done in under 1 hr.

Will post them up with a brief description so the next guy can have it done in under 1 hr.

Good onya Max. Post it up on m35stagea.info as well. That's where all the good info resides.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any pics of how to. My boot won´t open at all. Not sure whats wrong with it. I can open it using the manual release on the inside but using the outside button nothing happens.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Damn it, first this then my bike wont start and had to leave it at the servo. This just isnt my week.

Hopefully Classone still has his how to on it.

Now off to look for a new motor and get my bike before it gets pinched.

I'll see if I can dig up the pics.

I'll try explain the main things.

1st remove the inner tail gate. (Carpeted lower section)

And the plastic outer, your gonna need a flat blade to lever it.. I thought I was going to break it.

It's stubborn!

Peal back the plastic so you can look inside.

Take the (4 or 6) bolts out of the boot latch/mech

It's all one piece.

Un clip the wiring, and I think I moved the control box which is on the left hand side (viewed looking at the latch)

The motor/mech assembly is a bitch to remove..

It's so tight!

I dropped in down into the cavity and moved it to the right of its mount bracket.

It pretty much has to do a complete 360 to remove it and you remove it from the left of where it was bolted in..

So it drops down moves to the right, goes around the mount bracket while starting the 360' turn and exits a hole to the left of its original mount position.

The pain is the latch! It's size!

Once it's out and moved to the right, push the thinner section (with the motor) up as far as you can get it into the tight cavity (towards the glass).

Then rotate it clockwise while trying to get the fat latch past it's mounting points..

I can't stress how tight this is, you don't need physical force, it's like there is only 1 way it works, period!

After you get the latch past the mount bracket,

Keep rotating until you get the latch pointing towards the glass,

If you look now into the boot from the left side of the latch mount, you can see another cavity,

Push the fat latch up into it,

You then should be able to rotate it clockwise while pulling it down and to the left to complete its 360' rotation and end up with the latch facing you.

You will need your flat blade again to slightly bend the plastic to get the latch thru the cutout and out it comes,

Do the opposite to get it back in.

That gives you an idea.

I'll try and find the pics I took.

Don't have the stagea anymore, took on 2 kangaroos... Write off!