SAU Community

Stagea M35 Engine Light On = Low Power

m8e

Hey groovers,

I bought a M35 Stagea Axis 2003 last year, mostly thanks to time spent lurking on this forum ;)

Anywayz... I have an issue I was hoping you might help me get closer to diagnosing.

The engine light comes on sometimes, and the car gets low power when this happens (crap accelleration with total max speed 40km/h)

Normally turning the engine off and restarting it does the trick, the light goes off and back to full power again.

Although sometimes it takes 4 or 5 restarts of the engine, (not good for my starter motor!)

The car then runs beautifully for days at a time, then I get the engine light issue a couple of times in a day.

The engine light more often comes on at first starting the engine.

But also, sometimes it happens while driving, at low revs (can be cruising in traffic at 50km/h then notice no power to accellerate and it's the engine light has come on, so drop gear back into neutral and turn motor off and restart a few times until light goes off)

It seems to help reset the engine light problem if I give the accellerator some extra gas when turning on the ignition.

If I dont give it extra gas when cranking the ignition, then it takes many more restarts until the engine light goes off (i.e. back to normal engine power again)

I called a Nissan performance mechanic in Melbourne and described the problem, but the guy I spoke to hadn't heard of this specific problem and wanted me to book the car in so he could run it on the dyno for testing.

I am cash strapped at the moment so can't afford a big amount of diagnostics and repair bills at this point

But thought I would post here just in case it sounds like some obvious specific part to be replaced (if someone's heard of this problem before)

At least then I might know what my target saving goal is before I take it in for repair$.

I'm pretty sparse on the mechanic side of things, but my guess is it's not getting enough fuel into the turbo?

Thanks for any comments and suggestions!!! :cheers:

The engine light means that the ecu has logged the error/ diagnostic code.

it is as simple as getting that code read, and replacing the offending article. Scotty should be able to read the code for you, he'll see this soon. He's in melb.

It will be either AFM, or one of the crank or cam angle sensors. The code will tell you which one.

Having the car on a dyno is ridiculous, so I suggest never setting foot in that shop again.

In the end of the day, a mech shop is not going to diagnose something over the phone, they want you in their shop so they make some cash off you.

Dyno? Is he serious? Unless you didn't tell him it was factory management?

But as mentioned above, run the diagnostic, get the fault code, replace the relevant sensor.

Car will be back to normal.

Just so you know fuel doesn't go into a turbo.. Unless you have anti lag installed ... That would be interesting.

Good luck.

In the end of the day, a mech shop is not going to diagnose something over the phone, they want you in their shop so they make some cash off you.

Yeah I don't think he was really actually listening that closely to me, he just seemed wanted to book me in

I've read good things about that shop on the forum here, and I probably will go there for a proper tune one day as they are close by

But as mentioned above, run the diagnostic, get the fault code, replace the relevant sensor.

Car will be back to normal.

sounds awesome :)

Just so you know fuel doesn't go into a turbo.. Unless you have anti lag installed ... That would be interesting.

LOL yeah what a dork I am sometimes.... exhaust!

I guess I was trying to describe what it "feels" like when the light comes on.

No turbo. No power. Car feels like it is running in limp mode until restarted.

The engine light means that the ecu has logged the error/ diagnostic code.

it is as simple as getting that code read, and replacing the offending article. Scotty should be able to read the code for you, he'll see this soon. He's in melb.

It will be either AFM, or one of the crank or cam angle sensors. The code will tell you which one.

Awesome!

Hey Scotty if you're reading this I'm happy to drive wherever in Melb. I'm based at South Melbourne. Let me know the regular fees / deal for diagnostic, can PM me if u like.

It would be a relief to get some certainty about knowing what is the problem actually is.

Having the car on a dyno is ridiculous, so I suggest never setting foot in that shop again.

LOL yeah it did seem way off base. Car should at least be running normally before going in for performance tuning eh?

Hey Mick I will reply to your PM shortly.

It definitely sounds like limp mode, and seeing as the car still runs I doubt it's the cam/crank sensors, perhaps another throttle TPS issue? They have been common lately. The Consult will give us a better idea of what's happening. Speak to you soon.

Your car doesn't need a tune up, there isn't such thing with factory management, it is not tunable.

Don't be fooled, all you can do is keep it well maintained in the servicing department and save yourself some money on that "tune up"

• 2 months later...