SAU Community

The Difference Between Differentials

Burnz

What exactly do I need to fit a s15 helical centre into my S1 stagea diff then? Centre only, or are the stub axles different too? And what about the c/w bolting up? Same size bolts? I'm assuming I should be ok if I use the centre, bearings and stub axles?

This is easy. You need the centre and the 3x2 stub axles to suit it (from the S15). You cannot use 3x2 or 5 bolt stubs from a normal Silvia or Skyline VLSD, because they don't suit the helical centre. If you can get your hands on the 5 bolt stubs from an R34 helical then you could use those - but if you could get your hands on them then you'd probably also have you hands on the R34 helical whole and you wouldn't need to do anything else!

Then, assuming you don't want Silvia diff gearing on your Stagea, you need to dismantle both diffs, transfer the 4.11 or 4.08 (or whatever the hell gears you have in the Stagea) onto the S15 centre and put it all back into the Stagea housing - probably paying someone ~$400 to set it all up for you.

That's what I wanted to confirm. I have the 3x2 axles now so I will retain those until I need to swap them out

Cheers

Edited by fmlycar