SAU Community

Rb25 Knock

-Lucas-

Car has been sitting there for 4 months start it up. Slight knocking noise

Dump the oil change the filter add some lifter stuff as that was first thought a stuck lifter.

Still same noise but louder

Here's the list of things we checked

Water pump- took belt of so it wasn't spinning

Spark- took spark plugs out and turned it by hand

Coil- unplugged the coils one by one. Still there

Turned it over by hand.

Cam covers off. Took off, spun by hand then started it without the cam covers, no issue

Injectors - took injectors off, unplugged one by one sound still there

Also removed cam covers and ran the car. Knock is definitely lower down then cams

My knock

Video that covinved me

So, anyone have any ideas ?

It doesn't sound like a spun bearing to me. More like lifter noise. Probably since the car has been sitting for so long the lifters are gummed up and there isn't the right amount of oil in the hydraulic lifters. You can take them out, take them appart and clean them then re assemble with some oil in them. there is a thread on here in the DIY section of how to do it.

I reckon he stated man that lifter stuff has been added, Death rattles for me have always sounded alot worse than that to me. While it doesnt sound very healthy and could possibilly be a spun bearing i would check these things

1. check compression, should be all even and around 150psi

2. It sort of sounded like a leaking exhaust manifold gasket from the video so maybe check that

3. If its got fresh oil and the lifters are the problem try driving around gently and see if the problem perists, if it gets better chances are it was just lifters :)