SAU Community

Sydney Wreckers And Engineers/rego Questions

n_D

Howdy,

Im currentIy doing a 25det neo swap into my s15

Need some advice, anyone know decent wreckers to source the motor and gearbox.

AIso does anyone know the process of getting it legal. Currently the car is out of registration but I can renew it before the 3months is up.

Suggestions? Run it til i get caught? Someone told me i can just get the engine number transferred like a semi blueslip at a mechanics? Ive tried contacting engineers but cant get onto them.

Cheers

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldn't risk it as the s15's are cop magnets and if they see a different engine they will ask for you to get it checked by a mechanic that does blue slips (identity check ) to make sure the parts aren't from a stolen and chopped car

go and find a mechanic that does blue slips or a customs shop and ask them what you need to do. most will give you the steps you need to follow but prettysure you need an engineer's certificate and a check from a blue slip approved mechanic

To do it legally get and talk to an engineer before you even begin! Smartest thing you can do...

A mate runs an RB26 in his S15 and so far so good, but i wouldnt be attempting a major build without being 100% sure about getting it through the system first!

Too late lol, engine mounts are already on their way from the US.

My clutch exploded which took out my gearbox, engine, windscreen + bunch of other damage, took the opportunity to do an engine swap.

I've always liked Silvias and always wanted a RB so it will be the best of both worlds.

From what I've gathered the engine has to be the same age or newer and must retain all emission equipment to pass engineering. You have to retain the receipt for the engine and get it registerd with the RTA to show it was not stolen. So it sounds like sticking a stock rb25 in their would pass fairly easily but then to get piping etc.. made up for the factory setup then have it replaced again with new manifolds etc...

Its so hard to find an engineer to talk to. I work alot and can't get onto them, phone or email.

post-28961-0-47707800-1376360529_thumb.jpg

Still trying to work out the brand of the clutch, not much time to run it around to different places.

The previous owners 'mate' put a new clutch in just before I bought it. Have a suspicion the flywheel wasnt replaced and unevenly wore the pressure plate.

Pressure plate literally split apart at about 5000rpm. Bell housing shattered, took off bellhousing flange from block, blew up a new starter motor, bent input shaft into gearbox, smashed windscreen,put holes in the firewall etc.. Bent and snapped some bellhousing bolts. I think one of the pressure plate rivets let go which just fked everything.

Car was making 200rwkw. Clutch was only 25,000kms old

Still trying to work out the brand of the clutch, not much time to run it around to different places.

The previous owners 'mate' put a new clutch in just before I bought it. Have a suspicion the flywheel wasnt replaced and unevenly wore the pressure plate.

Pressure plate literally split apart at about 5000rpm. Bell housing shattered, took off bellhousing flange from block, blew up a new starter motor, bent input shaft into gearbox, smashed windscreen,put holes in the firewall etc.. Bent and snapped some bellhousing bolts. I think one of the pressure plate rivets let go which just fked everything.

Car was making 200rwkw. Clutch was only 25,000kms old

Ouch! Sounds like a shonky "mate"...

Yeah spewing because I never touched the clutch. I was always under the impression that they started slipping before they explode lol.

Apparently not :/

Well good luck with the conversion, speak to NPC or similar in regards to clutch choice and maybe have someone more reliable fit it for you :P

engine and box from skyline spares as they are teh cheapest I know around..

Engineering it will be fun but not too bad if your just dropping the car off completed to get the approval.

Ring unigroup engineering as I believe they do just that but im not there today to confirm

Do u work at/with unigroup?

engine and box from skyline spares as they are teh cheapest I know around..

Engineering it will be fun but not too bad if your just dropping the car off completed to get the approval.

Ring unigroup engineering as I believe they do just that but im not there today to confirm

Man if you're gonna drop the motor into it and drive it til you potentially get caught, I'd take those wheels off. They're just asking for trouble. Even still if you got it engineered, there are numerous other parts which will get you done.

If I was in your position, I'd get the job done, make it look as least conspicuous as possible and like you said, drive it around until you do or never get caught. Just don't drive it like you stole it.

Yeah I understand what your saying. But the wheels are boss lol. Planning to get some more flaring done to tuck them more.

Im prepared to get dicked over small things but having the engine defected could be extremely painful.

Driven the car for 2 years and only been pulled over once for a speeding ticket lol.

I'm quite a modest driver, pick my moments.

I want it legal though at the same time so I can enjoy my car.

Yeah I understand what your saying. But the wheels are boss lol. Planning to get some more flaring done to tuck them more.

Im prepared to get dicked over small things but having the engine defected could be extremely painful.

Driven the car for 2 years and only been pulled over once for a speeding ticket lol.

I'm quite a modest driver, pick my moments.

I want it legal though at the same time so I can enjoy my car.

If you want it legal, buy a prius and do NOT modify... The laws are designed so modifyers are going to have a bad time lol

Its almost impossible to have it legal. I promise you they will find something to pick you up on. You can get an exhaust or air filter enclosure or what ever you like engineered but at the end of the day you can be picked on for it. Gonna be tough to keep your Rb26 under 90db, already illegal lol.

As said above, you want legal, sell the car and buy a friendly commuter car. You want a tuner, you've already broken the first rule: IF CAR IS TUNER CAR IS DEFECT AND ILLEGAL f**k all the safety features like dual airbag, wide grip tyres, large brakes, well built and designed chassis, improved suspension, strut brace to improve rigid state etc

Its funny you can buy a fresh import from overseas, get it complianced for use in Australia, get it registered and then put on the road, drive out your drive way and be fined. Kid you not the stock exhaust on most skylines does not pass the sound test.

To make your engine swap legal, you're gonna need to do your brakes. Not sure if the S15 brakes are suitable for an RB26.

I remember when in the market, the amount of skylines I saw which were "engineered and 100% legal". Saw one with an external wastegate and atmo bov. Another which exhaust was heard far and beyond. What a piece of paper says and what their rules say conflict.

Edited by SargeRX8