SAU Community

Is a Loud exhaust worth the hassle?

Hi,

My mechanic has offered to install a second hand R33 exhaust onto my auto R33. They were stripped from some cars imported from japan i think, probably to get them complied here.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask advice if it is worth taking him up on his offer. I've got friends who say a monster exhaust would sound crap on an auto, and other concern is noise. Don't want to be attracting cops and waking parents/neighbours when i pullup out the front at 1am+.

Is there a practical limit to size. What my mechanic gives me would be pot luck, they are just gathering dust in storage. I think they are around 3inch (tip?) from cat back. Like i said, covered in dust, but bolt on from japanese R33.

Im not a big fan of drone, and he said you'd get sick of the noise in about 10mins. Im just after some feedback from the engine over 3,000rpm. Not concerned so much with HP gained (i dont think it is best return on investment). I only ever do redlight->green sprints.

Planning to keep my license, and take it on a track for kicks. Am i better off just getting a new tip ?

The rest of the car is stock and ive got some cash to burn (i convince myself, until i see next visa bill =p)

regards,

hb/

Its not the size that makes it loud. If the muffler is in good nick it shouldn't be too bad. More power is the main reason to get a bigger exhaust, and if they are cheap enough, go for it , but keep your old one just in case.

Im just feeling compelled to do something for my car. Has had a few issues with idiots in parking lots of lat, few scratches. needs some TLC.

Also my mother coming out in me, wanting to buy something coz it is on sale/cheap =p.

Not a fan of overly noisy cars, i seen some very quiet cruising, but loud under accelleration. It be the only time I'd be pleased to hear it. To know the car is reving nicely, without having to look at taco etc (auto).

But dont need any grief from cops. Guy at the servo told me to get a locally made one, so that it is under EPA limits.

And yeah, i;ve read you dont need noisy exhaust to get power. which is why im confused as what to get. I spoze i could just loiter outside some performance shop and listen for a car that suits my taste.

non turbo motors drone a bit more a think

if its auto gts-t it should sound ok. u don't sound like you want a really loud system anyway, just something that sounds nicer than stock and looks good. you'd probably want a system with a rear muffler and also a centre muffler, which would still sound nice but not too loud or drony.

you cant go by size of the exhaust when talking about the Jap brands and relative noise..

also other considerations such as mild steel or stainless, mandrel bent or press bent - they all add up to the noise factor.

Not to mention the engine, dump pipe and overall setup the exhaust is being mated to !!

I have the HKS Super Dragger II exhaust - which is one of the largest tips/mufflers you will find (5 inch), however the noise is considerably less than other similar setups..

If you are looking at a Jap exhaust and dont want noise, consider ones with dual mufflers...

Check this out..

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ht=dual+muffler

i wouldn't risk going too loud in melb.. you'll get EPA'ed pretty quick. I got EPA'ed for a perfectly legal 89db exhaust (see the pic.. lol)

Like Gizmo73 is saying, there is a lot more than just the size, the amount of bends, the angle of the bend, extra resonators, or muffler can all effect it. There is no "standard" way to say how loud it is just by looking at it.

You can ask brands, and you might get some feedback.