SAU Community

Mugabetown - Whoretownin' At It's Worst.

t5iv

Is the dude from Mackay still selling his HKS 2835 in the classifieds? I think he got down to 1000 bucks on it. That would be a great option too

He's at $2000 right now.

I think it can even be a knackered 34 turbo. All the need is the rear housing!

Yeah. Doesn't matter about shaft play etc, they just need it to be in reasonably working order.

Yeah. Doesn't matter about shaft play etc, they just need it to be in reasonably working order.

They just need the housings to not be f**ked, can even have all the blades missing.

So after an evening of pondering intercooler stuffs, i think i may have figured out the "but stock gtr cooler is good for 400kw's!" thing.

A few people have commented that they can't do back to back power runs on the dyno with them, so it seems like the stock one is plenty big enough of a heat sink for a little bit of a squirt, but then its way to oversaturated with heat to keep the job up afterwards.

The question is, is an ARC one going to be any better (only 10mm thicker, but better fin design?) or should I go for a bigger one down the road instead of hanging out for an ARC one...

I have an ARC. I have no heat soak issues. In a GTR coolers defence driving is quite different to being on a dyno in front of a fan. Intercooler would be low on my priority list

I have an ARC. I have no heat soak issues. In a GTR coolers defence driving is quite different to being on a dyno in front of a fan. Intercooler would be low on my priority list

You're quite right, you'll be getting more airflow on the open road. However, there still has to be a limit to it, although that's going to be depending on a lot of factors. ambient temp, power, how much power is being used, how often, and for how long. I honestly don't know the answer and short of sticking a temp sensor into the outlet of the cooler i'm not sure i will know.

However, that being said, Sean did recommend a new cooler. And i'd like to get one now that will be good for 400kw down the road. So I dunno.

So after an evening of pondering intercooler stuffs, i think i may have figured out the "but stock gtr cooler is good for 400kw's!" thing.

A few people have commented that they can't do back to back power runs on the dyno with them, so it seems like the stock one is plenty big enough of a heat sink for a little bit of a squirt, but then its way to oversaturated with heat to keep the job up afterwards.

The question is, is an ARC one going to be any better (only 10mm thicker, but better fin design?) or should I go for a bigger one down the road instead of hanging out for an ARC one...

I'm running Chinese quality FMIC costing $300/$400

As Bunts said tis a lower priority than other mods on you're list

You're quite right, you'll be getting more airflow on the open road. However, there still has to be a limit to it, although that's going to be depending on a lot of factors. ambient temp, power, how much power is being used, how often, and for how long. I honestly don't know the answer and short of sticking a temp sensor into the outlet of the cooler i'm not sure i will know.

However, that being said, Sean did recommend a new cooler. And i'd like to get one now that will be good for 400kw down the road. So I dunno.

rule of thumb goes like so

300rwkw stock cooler ok

Anything over get a bigger cooler as the car / turbos will generate more heat that's what I used

Car was making 285kw's on 98, so I dam well hope its making over 300 on E85... I think i'll upgrade now.

I've been making up a bit of a spreadsheet of all things i want to do to the car, with prices and whatever other info I want to put in there, just so i can organise my head and jot down stuff so i don't forget it.

Shits expensive. UP to 25K already.