SAU Community

Coilovers, New To Sau And Mods

JaseECR33

Hi all, new to SAU

just wanted to ask a few questions, ive got a standard r33 gtst s2

i want to put my car on the track within the next 12months, starting with vicdrift events hopefully.

im getting coilovers soon and wanted advice on Internal or external reservoir under track and drift conditions..

also what do i definitely need to replace before i head out and what can i safely leave stock and only worry about replacing once it breaks. which im sure it will

control arms, sway bar links etc.. basically anything in the front end that wont cope with the stress.

im new to this so i hope what ive said makes sense

I wouldn't worry about internal or external reservoir as the feature to look for when you are buying coilovers.

How much are you looking to spend?
I'd consider:
MCA Red (Red?) $1500

HSD HR $1200
BC BR $1200 - (ER are $1700 I think)
Shockworks $1600 (Around that)

As for getting your car track ready, I would just service it properly and make sure everything works (Do fluids, filters etc) and change your brake fluid to something a little better, then hit the track. No need to change anything, just learn to drive first.

If you just Google each of the coilovers I mentioned above, you'll find all the information and stockist.

Really though, if you want to start drifting, you are better off keeping the car reasonably standard, the only way you will learn and get better is track time. So spend your money on track time, tyres and fuel. Keep the car well serviced and upgrade/replaced things as you need to.

Coilovers are a good upgrade, you might want to shim your diff to keep it locking, depending on what condition it's in.

EDIT: Above, I meant MCA BLUE

http://mcasuspension.com/blue-series/

Not red!

you may want to have a look in the for sale section here, i think there was a set of aragosta coilovers for the r33 for roughly that price, probably less. they will most likely be better than anything else you can get at that price considering what they're worth and their quality.

oh and check all your bushings in your arms, subframe, etc. maybe replace with whiteline/superpro bushes, as our old cars will most likely have flogged out bushings somewhere.