SAU Community

R33 Shut Off After Radiator Went

cree

Today my radiator went as I was driving along the highway. When the radiator went the car shutoff straight away. Is this a safety thing that R33's have or is there something more wrong with the car? I did a search but I didn't find anything which is why I think it may be something else wrong.

As far as I can tell it came out of the top front. That's where all the steam was coming from when I first noticed the problem.

Edited by cree

I just put a whole lot of water in the radiator and tried to start still no luck. I also noticed it all just ran out from the bottom of the radiator.

I just put a whole lot of water in the radiator and tried to start still no luck. I also noticed it all just ran out from the bottom of the radiator.

An undamaged engine will start and run without a drop of water in the cooling system for a prescribed, short amount of time. Your engine has been damaged by overheating, assuming it was running fine before all of this happened.

How long did you run the engine after you noticed the first signs of steam coming out? Tell me you got it towed off the highway rather than running it dry?

So I just thought if try the car this morning and it did start but it doesn't sound at all healthy. I only ran it for a few seconds then shut it off. It making a really lounge ticking noise like its dropped a cylinder of something.

Yeh I should have. Oh well I'll put a new radiator in and see how it goes.

A new radiator wont fix the motor, sounds like a blown head gasket at the very least-

You can do a compression test to determine the condition of the engine

• Like 1

Get a new radiator and fill it up with fresh liquid.

My peugeot wouldnt turn on without anything in the radiator, it was a safety feature. Perhaps 33s have the same gig.

That being said, im not game to turn on my 33 without coolant...

Dude you just told everyone you own a Peugeot? Not cool man...