SAU Community

Tamiya Rc Car Advice

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some information on Tamiya RC cars.

I would love to get in the hobby of building and modifying RC cars and i would like to buy a R32/34GTR.

Where's the best place to buy them from?

How much should i expect to pay for one that's built and ready for use?

How easy are they to get parts for & are they expensive to build?

I don't have the facilities at home to own a real GTR or else i would.. i think this would be a fun thing to play around with in my spare time as i don't really have many hobbies.

thanks in advance.

Iv also recently got one the one you posted isn't "RTR" so you would need a controller

I ended up buying one off ebay 2nd hand with everything, only I bought a new shell gtr haha

Around how much do these start at with most stuff included? I've always been interested in them, did a little bit of research on them but not for prices etc.

And would have to be decent, not nasty :)

I built an electric Tamiya Celica GT4 back when I was in high school

This thing is really epic - has all wheel drive, with front and rear diffs, double wishbone suspension with adjustable oil filled shocks (can adjust both height and damping force with different shock inserts), two servos for steering and motor, polycarbonate body that's painted from the inside, the chassis can also support a R33 GT-R shell...

cost me around $750 back then with all the radio gear. Sad thing is, i loved building it (if you ever build a Tamiya kit, you will see the anal attention to detail the japs are known for), but didnt enjoy actually playing with it, so only ran it a few times and its been sitting in my garage since then

Ahh ok, not as much as I thought. I really thought they would be at the nearly 500$ mark. Sounds good :)

Yeah $300-400 should get you a decent entry level set-up, fine for thrashing around on the street, etc. If you want higher end you'll spend $500 on the chassis easy, then plus all the electronics.

Plenty of good hobby shops around so go in & see what suits. New shells/bodies you can just grab online, easy enough to paint yourself just make sure you grab the tamiya poly carb paints (& you paint the inside of the shell).

I'll have a look on eBay and maybe some shops in Japan.

Any pics of people's work on their rc's would be cool also.

I would be very anal with attention to detail. Can't wait. More motivated now :)

Edited by crissy

Looks good, should try get into using it. Going Friday night to hobby habit to check some out, already know what shell I want.

Hopefully it won't sit around and collect dust :P