SAU Community

How Hot / How Thin Should Oil Get And Issue With Brakes?

stÖrmy

Hi guys I just got my rb25 s13 back from the tuners and thought IDE give it a bit of a test run...

Car info :

made 350rwhp

High mounted kinugawa OIL Cooled only

FMIC mounted with ports at the top

Have an oil cooler and relocation block

Forward facing plenum

Was running cheap penrite 20$ oil

Ok so after letting it idle for a few minutes I went out or a quick drive, then came in and did a few donuts, snapped 2nd gear and done another few donuts, all up it was about 3 or 4 minutes worth of driving, after bringing it

Back in the shop I noticed a oil leak so put it on the hoist and had a look under, my sump plug was hand tight and had no copper washer..... I think I forgot to put on one... What a tool! Anyway I took this opportunity to drop the cheap oil and throw in my penrite racing ten tenths oil, pulled off the sump plug and the oil started rushing out really really fast , it was almost like water and was extremely thin and black, keeping in mind the oil was brand new before Going To the tuners.

In that few of driving and the few hours at the tuners could the oil have gotten so hot that it went black and burnt already ?

After it was done draining I put a new sump plug with a copper washer and lowered the car to put my new oil in, at this point I noticed that my rocker covers and intake plenum were boiling hot, way to hot to touch for more than a few seconds...My oil filter was also boiling hot and the oil cooler was a bit warm, the intercooler was a bit warm.

Is this all normal ? Could having an oil only cooled turbo be contributing ? Or am I just being paranoid ?

Also completely unrelated I noticed that my front wheels do not spin freely , I'm pretty sure they are meant to ? Could my front

Brakes be rooted ?

Its called heat soak, any car when switched off has the hot water rise to the top and get things very hot with the engine off, more so than when running.

Your oil being black is not "burnt", its just full of contaninates, im surprised you threw it on a dyno, did burnouts etc with a cheap oil and then thought about using the good oil.

Generaly speaking you want water and oil temps to ideally be around the same temp.

Edited by GTRPSI

Ok cool thanks for the reply man :)

Well yeah ive always used what ever is on special in terms of oils, my last drift car only ever got the helix 18$ on special stuff and ran fine every day even with drift abuse.

Either way i guess i was just being paranoid ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Good news, inflexible middle aged driver and nav can get in OK, and probably, we can pass the "prove you can get out in x seconds if the car was on fire test" (yes, that's a thing now). Lucky Bob the Evo we hired a few years back had a similar cage and we could get in and out OK, although access to the back to chuck helmets etc in was a pain On to the bigger problem. A 32 coupe is not a big car, I'm not short, and the new regs require no part of the helmet is closer than 50mm to the top of the cage at the roof, and same distance between the outside of the side bar at the roof and the helmets.  Having had a good look at it, Kel's seat is OK because it can be kind of anywhere, so we can remake the mounts and get it down and in. Mine however is a problem. I can probably get it the required 80mm lower by removing the slide and fix mounting the seat (there goes Kel's ability to driver the car without a seat insert....) but worse I need to move the seat inward 50mm as well, meaning the pedals and steering wheel will be offset.
    • More seriously though....the combination of the difficulty getting parts to repair the car, together with the issues around tarmac rally reg changes have been the real thing that has kept me from putting the car back together. Firstly, it's really clear that my cheapy import race car is no longer cheap. Things like bonnets and front guards are NLA, not to mention intercoolers, radiator supports, rear bars, boot lids, the list is endless (speaking of which, I made a throw away joke to my japanese friend Tsuyoshi....who then turned up with a boot lid in luggage on his next visit, what a legend!) Bottom line, while I've got it fixed this time, there is a really high chance that next crash (small or large) will result in something I can't fix. Yes, there's no point having a race car that doesn't race, but it feels like the car is one minor incident away from being an unrepairable car that can't race. The other issue on my mind has been the upcoming changes to regs. The less important thing is that grandfathered cages will no longer be allowed; we've been running this car for about 15 years with a pretty basic 6 point cage with 1 diagonal in the main hoop.  New rules mean we need to add: * Second cross in the main hoop * Cross brace in the roof (close to helmets unfortunately) * 2nd side intrusion bar each side  * 2nd brace from the top to bottom of the a pillar So, I put all those extra bars in last weekend: Driver side Nav side
    • Yes! I joke with my wife that it’s a fancy looking Honda Jazz. It’s weird where they cheaped out on plastics but kept the electronics fancy. B Class gearbox can eat a bag of dicks. It’s terrible.
    • Finally got some time to work on it yesterday so I got cracking and made a bracket up to mount the ecu. It just fits in there with enough space to plug the harness in.  Got cracking on the rest of the harness and finished it up to realise I had forgotten a wire to power the DBW relay. So I'll be depinning it and running all spare wires through to another connector so they're easily accessible for future use. 
    • So there has actually been more progress than that, just not a lot. Firstly, I changed the DSF wheel bearing, finished up today.  I have been getting away with murder for years moving the car around without the drive shaft in (when the engine is out), however my luck ran out when the car was at the smash repair and the bearing separated while they were pushing it around. Since I don't know what damage if any was done to the actual bearing I figured safest bet was just to change it. So she has wheels and tyres back on, and on the ground for the first time in a while