SAU Community

Skyline as everyday drive?

Worm

I've had my R33 for around 4 years now, and have racked up about 100,000km in it, a lot of which would be highway kms (it was a 200km each way trip to work for a while, I did that every day...).

In that four years, all I've done to (except mods) it is:

* Timing belt inc idler/tensioner bearings (routine service @ 100k)

* Water pump was very noisy but still working fine. Replaced it anyway during 100k service

* Wheel bearings were getting pretty noisy at around 150,000km. Replaced them. Prick of a job.

* Driver's window wouldn't wind down. A friend of mine fixed a dry joint in the module with a soldering iron for free.

* Replaced the handbrake and gear boots with Jay95R33's awesome leather jobs as the stockers were rooted

* Stock clutch died at around 130,000km from memory.

* Battery died about a year ago. It was still the stock 1993 Japanese battery!!!

* Tacho feed from the stock ECU stopped working. Good excuse to put in a PowerFC.

* Have just started having problems with the coils. Saving for some Splitfires.

At first glance it looks bad, but in reality the car has given me VERY little grief. I know people who've bought brand new cars who've broken more stuff in their first year than I have in four. All in all I'm extremely happy with the car. When it comes time to upgrade (soon...) another Skyline is definitely right up there on my list.

It has only failed me once (when the battery died), but I was expecting it so it wasn't a drama as I was in the Repco carpark. I was buying a new battery coincidentally, so it just went in about 10min earlier than I'd planned :(

Other points to note. In four years, I've:

* Averaged around 450-500km to a tank

* Burned approx 10,000L of premium unleaded. Average prob 80c/L (was 55c/L when I bought the car...), so $8,000 in fuel

* Done approx 20 oil changes (@ 5,000km). $60ea = $1200

* Given it a full clutch and brake system bleed, once when I got it, and every 25,000km after that. Free :(

* Been through three (?) sets of brake pads @ ~$200 for four

* Worn 4 (I think) sets of tyres. Say around $750-1000 for a set (stocko 16s until recently), so $3-4,000 on tyres

* Been to the skidpan about six times, the drags I think three times, but haven't made it onto the circuit yet (not in the car anyway) :rofl:

Anyway that's about all I can think of now.

Guest INASNT

When near stock with stock parts it very easy daily driver, but after about 20g of mods its a bitch everyday driver, especially if you work in the city

When near stock with stock parts it very easy daily driver, but after about 20g of mods its a bitch everyday driver, especially if you work in the city

Especially with twin or triple plate clutch, it'll be a bitch to drive in traffic jam!

Had a R32 GTR owner told me he had to wait till the car in front of him moves for about 1 or 2 car length before unleashing his triple plated GTR to "jump" forward just in time to stop quickly waiting for the traffic to crawl again. Gets nasty when the car on the next lane decided to change lane in front of you thinking you're giving him the way. Not a very good "daily ritual".

HAHA......button clutches r a bitch.

That is a very comprohensive post revhead, cheers!

As long as it will be reliable with some mods like exhaust, chip, maybe turbo, induction mod, nothing that will get it defected, And i'll be happy.