SAU Community

Sump Extensions For Rb26/30 Setup

Uncustom

Hey guys,

So I'm currently building my RB26/30, it's almost done and I just need to sort out the oil control. I've been looking at sump extensions but I'm not sure what will be appropriate for this application. The bit confusing me is the oil pickup, as I know that the location on the block of an RB30 is different to that on an RB26. If I bought a weld on kit (say Trust 1.5L extension) for my 26 sump, would the oil pickup that comes with this kit be able to be used with the RB30?

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers.

The oil pickup on the RB30 block when used with a RB26 sump sits right above the 4WD tube in the sump.

If the RB30 Pickup is bolted to the block, when you put the sump on the 4WD tube will hit the pickup.

So the first order of the day is the original RB30 pickup pipe needs to be shortened at the flange to sit further away from the 4WD tube.

When you have done this you will notice that you cannot put the pickups flange bolt under the pipe on, 2 things need to be done, grind the head of the bolt down for clearance and cut out a notch in the flange so you can leave the bolt in and slide the assembly into position and then tighten the bold down.

I even ground a old open end spanner down to make room to work in there.

From there you can cut the rest of the RB30 pickup off closer to the strainer end and use the RB26 pickup and weld it on.

Its a bit of mucking around, we just finished our pickup a few days ago to work with a Hi Octane 9L cast alloy sump, quite a bit of work to center it in the sump and get it exactly level and 6-7mm from the bottom.

Took us a few goes, key point is tack weld as you go along to find the correct position for things and being long you may want to brace the pickup pipe, i braced it on the crank girdle.

Edited by GTRPSI

I welded a pick up to the bottom of the sump then ran a pipe out the side of the sump in AN-12 and ran a hose up to the side of the pump then drill and tapped a fitting in to the side of pump :)

Can you still run the aircon with your way?

If yes, we were thinking about doing this, it was that question that made us avoid doing it.

We were however seriously thinking of doing it that way.....im old, i needed my aircon. :)

Having done through all the trouble of getting the pickup made, even if you told me now we can still run the aircon, im not changing anything, enough fab work for me thanks. :)

Yeah I drilled a massive hole through the braket, machined down the fitting and extended the thread so it went past the hole for the factory pick then locktight thread sealed it in ten off that 45ed down under the compressor then 90 into sump, I have pics but can't up load then on here

I'm the same getting to old for no A/C lol

• Like 1