SAU Community

Warming up & cooling down turbos?

Being a new R32 GTS-T owner (as well as it being my first turbo car). I have heard people talking about warming up & cooling down the turbo...

Being new to turbo cars, I just want to make shoure I am not going to stuff it up.

My R32 is stock (except exhust) and I was wondering about the do's & dont's with warming up & colling down with turbos. With a stock setup is it a big deal or is it when you have high performace parts on the car?

Reece

when you drive a turbo car hard under boost it gets extremly hot ie the whole rear part of the turbo glows red so you should let i cool down when you have thrashed it also driving it quitely for 2 mins before turning it off will suffice.

meggala

this is an idea of how hot they get disreguard the writing.

drbanner.jpgs

For the past ~2.5years of owning my 32 i've never really warmed it up or cooled it down.

Warming up.

It idles for the amount of time it takes for me to put on my seat belt, put the cd players face on & put my wallet in the glovebox.

I then drive it real easy until it is at operating temp. I then drive it normally until ~10km's later from initial startup. It takes around 1-2km's to reach operating temp.

Only after then do I give it some stick if I am going to.

Cooling down.

I havn't got a turbo timer and don't really see the need for one, especially when you consider the possible insurance and defect hassles.

Before you turn the car off just take it easy for the last few km's.

Then let it idle for the amount of time it takes to grab your wallet, take the seat belt off etc.

If I have really been giving it a heap (can smell the brakes etc still) I let it idle for 2 or so mins.

General driving with the odd little bit of stick I don't worry about cooling the car down, just make sure turning the car off is the last thing you do. This will give time for the turbo to spool down.

Only once I have turned the car off just after coming off boost. The nasty sound of the turbo spinning was enough for me to instantly start the car and wait a minute or so.

It seems the ol' turbo's being water cooled and oil cooled are quite tough items these days. I've been pumping quite a bit of boost through it for some time and it still hasn't broke. :) I don't race or give the car a hard time or do high speed high boost long stints.

Out of all my cars this 32 has been THE most reliable out of them all.

Driveline, diff, motor everything is tough, and thats comparing it to a VS V8 5speed that are 'supposed' to have tough gearbox's. Mine still broke within 6months, then the diff then the rear subframe and the list goes on. :D

I've got a $0 bodgy way to increase boost if your interested.

You have to be carefull though. :)

Elongate the wastegate actuator bracket bolt up holes. Then pull the wastegate actuator and bracket back tightening it up. (Pull the wastegate actuator towards the front of the engine) Then tighten up the two bolts.

You then need to take it for a drive and fine tune the adjustment so it doesn't over boost.

Thanks for the info, it has help to clear some things up for me.

Since I dont drive it hard (all that much) there isnt much i need to do. Except make shoure it has warmed up before driving it hard, andif I have been riving it hard to take it easy before I pull in the driveway.

Thanks again.