SAU Community

Countdown

I had to start a new topic. I'm giddy like a child again, I haven't felt that way for some time :)

I've put in my search forms to Iron Chef and I'm now in a holding pattern until we find the right car for me :)

I will keep you all updated if anyone is interested. Some will have seen from my previous posts, I sometimes take a while making a decision ;) I think it's more to do with this being my first imported car and I can't see it in person and I only get one bite at the cherry. It's not like I can say, "I don't like it send it back" or anything.....

So I wonder what the odds are I change my mind on the colour again a few times during the process ;)

So I will count on you all, for your input at times. More minds the better I say.

On a slightly pessimistic note and jumping the gun, how do the imported cars resell in Australia? Is the marketplace pretty healthy? I've been on CarSales for awhile now and there seems to be quite a few V35's and older V36's for sale. I haven't seen many at all of the newer model V36's for sale, like I will be getting. I hope by getting the newer V36 it will not be harder to sell (when & if the time comes) because Australia has now started selling them. I guess the thing I have up my sleeve is the price difference? I'm sure it's a smaller group of people that would buy them, considering the Japanese language and certain options that can't be used in Australia. Also mine will not be a collectors car like the GTR really falls into.

Cheers,

Paul

Don't hold your breath on resale value. V35's that were $30k-$40k 5 years ago are worth $15k now, and V36s that were worth $50k-$60k 4 years ago are worth $30k now. It's just cars in general - and yes, any import is an absolute pita to sell. Just enjoy them and not worry about the money.

Don't hold your breath on resale value. V35's that were $30k-$40k 5 years ago are worth $15k now, and V36s that were worth $50k-$60k 4 years ago are worth $30k now. It's just cars in general - and yes, any import is an absolute pita to sell. Just enjoy them and not worry about the money.

If you think you'll make anything bar a loss then you'd need to re-consider. First hand evidence...both myself and my mate have V36 370GT SP (i.e top of the line) advertised on carsales and other forums. Mine has consistently been way under market price - despite the fact I'm in a large market (Vic) - I basically get zero enquiries. EVen timewasters would be welcome.

Whilst I think the 370GT SP is a helluva lot of car for the money (I would presume an imported one should now be about $25K drive away?), good luck in getting anyone to buy it when it comes to selling...unless you have a particular config that is exactly what the buyer wants.

As NIghtcrawler says - just enjoy it. You will. It's a great car, and perplexing why anyone would fork an extra $5-7K for a 370Z when they can get this (although, I have to admit, the two rear seats are almost redundant).

Good luck with it - look forward to seeing what you end up with.

• Like 1

Now this is a great reply ;) Thank you. Not the answer I was hoping for but good info nonetheless.

If you think you'll make anything bar a loss then you'd need to re-consider. First hand evidence...both myself and my mate have V36 370GT SP (i.e top of the line) advertised on carsales and other forums. Mine has consistently been way under market price - despite the fact I'm in a large market (Vic) - I basically get zero enquiries. EVen timewasters would be welcome.

Whilst I think the 370GT SP is a helluva lot of car for the money (I would presume an imported one should now be about $25K drive away?), good luck in getting anyone to buy it when it comes to selling...unless you have a particular config that is exactly what the buyer wants.

As NIghtcrawler says - just enjoy it. You will. It's a great car, and perplexing why anyone would fork an extra $5-7K for a 370Z when they can get this (although, I have to admit, the two rear seats are almost redundant).

Good luck with it - look forward to seeing what you end up with.

Thanks for info mate :)

Hmmm it's definitely not what I wanted to hear. I'm also going for, the top of the line SP model. I will be dolling out some serious cash, well for an import it will be, Up to $40,000.... I don't see it being a long term car, only because of practical reasons, Coupe etc. I will certainly enjoy it I have no doubt. However I don't think I could take a serious hit when it comes to resale. Also as said its a lot smaller marketplace that would buy one of these compared to selling a non import and I'm not sure if a normal car dealer would accept it as a trade in? The trouble with looking at CarSales it can give you a false impression that the vehicle has been sold. As when it says the vehicle is Sold, that can also mean the person trying to sell has just removed the car from the site. Makes it very hard to gauge what is really happening. I of course know that certain home brands are also shocking at resale value (bigger marketplace though) Ford springs to mind. As you said Foibles, it's a hell of a lot of car they would be getting for bugger all money. I certainly don't expect to make a profit but I sure as hell don't want to lose a fortune.

Please Guys and Gals I'm after some really solid advice, as what to do. Would perhaps getting an Australian Infiniti sell better? Any suggestions at all would help heaps. As this information has really worried me :(

Perhaps after all that I might need to scrap the idea altogether of getting the import. Which will be a real shame.

Thanks

Edit- I've just had a couple of Valium & calmed down a bit ;) I know cars in general resale value are insane these days. My folks for example have a BMW & the trade in or if sold privately is a completely stoopid price. I guess my biggest fear is if I can't sell it as a trade in or I just can't sell it full stop, short of selling it for a carton of beer if I'm lucky..

Again any advance will be a big help.

Edited by Black Dog

If you think your purchase might be a short term one, then why buy a new(ish) model with super low km for $40k??? Buy an 09 with 50,000km on for $25k and the loss wil be significantly less when you sell it.

If you think your purchase might be a short term one, then why buy a new(ish) model with super low km for $40k??? Buy an 09 with 50,000km on for $25k and the loss wil be significantly less when you sell it.

Again as I said in another post of mine, I'm the type of person that likes to try and cover all his bases. Also I have no idea what the future holds for me, damn I'm not sure what I will do a week from now let alone a few years down the track ;)

It could be long term it could be short term..... Welcome to my life :)

I really like to get a car/toy as good as I can for the money/budget I've allowed myself for this one, which is up to about $40,000, there about.

So this is where and why the hesitation comes in as I have no idea what might happen? If I do sell it short term, I sure as hell don't want to take a ludicrous hit on the money side, well no more than you would with a non import car and my biggest fear would be, not being able to sell it or trade it as easily as you would with a local car.

Haven't been on carsales in a while but can you pick up a 370Z for under 40k? Might be an option if you want a Aus made car and might be a little easier to sell/trade at a later date.

Haven't been on carsales in a while but can you pick up a 370Z for under 40k? Might be an option if you want a Aus made car and might be a little easier to sell/trade at a later date.

Thanks Lee for the suggestion. I have seen some great 370Z's for some bargain prices and I really like them as a car. However the reason I would pick the 370GT/G/Q60 & so on ;) coupe over them is because of the rear seats. It just adds that little bit more user friendly/options than just a straight two seater. Otherwise I would most definitely snap up a 370z in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Yeah fully understand that's what made me pick up a V35 over a 350Z. Think I have used the back seats 3 times in the 2 years I have owned the car but its always nice to have the option.

Yeah fully understand that's what made me pick up a V35 over a 350Z. Think I have used the back seats 3 times in the 2 years I have owned the car but its always nice to have the option.

Even just to chuck stuff on, it's a handy option. When I first started thinking about getting another car, I was originally going to spend only $10,000 on a 300Z for a play around, that's what started the whole ball rolling with my first import & Nissan. Then it went to the 350Z & so on.... Here I am now, searching for a 370GT coupe and a hell of a lot more money going into it. Gotta love the cars/toys the whole process turns into the making of a monster before you know it ;)

I have 2 car/booster seats in the back for my 6 and 3 years olds. My back seat gets used a LOT :) .... I had no option, but do love the 370Z.

Wow, now that's putting it to the test, I like it :) Cool kids in the backseat of a cool ride ;) if you dropped them off to school in that, you will be a hit with everyone, they will be going like Wow your Dad is so cool what a sick ride ;) that's if they still say sick these days? :) So your's is a coupe isn't it Andrew?

When I did my trip to Adelaide recently, I got to sit in a 370Z (first time, no drive though) & yeah it's very nice, just too impractical, all it had was those two little compartments behind the seats. It might carry a six pack if you're lucky but that's about it. Still love them though.

On the same trip I also got to sit in a V36 coupe, again first time. Still haven't driven one :( and won't get a chance to do so until when & if my one arrives. I was pleasantly surprised about the back seats and how much room there was. Well pretty good for leg room but not head space. I'm over 6'2 so there was no way I could sit up properly, not without doing some serious acrobatic moves with my neck. I felt like a damn giraffe....

That's the beauty though about being the owner, you never have to worry about travelling in the back seat of your own car :)

Yeah Paul, mine is a coupe. And yes, I do school/child care drop off and pick-up 3 days a week (they have to go in the wife's boring CRV the other days), and needless to say Tyler gets plenty of comments from school friends :)

Wow and my 6 year old and 3 year old complain about how much smaller the V36 4-dr is compared to the M35 Stagea... :yes: .

Also doing the school/kinder run 3 days a week, but no one notices my car, as one of the other dads has a R35... :angry:

Ironically I sold my old S15 when we got pregnant with our first child and imported and R34 sedan. When the R34 arrived I realised that the rear seat legroom was smaller than the S15! My V35 also has a large rear seat/legroom than the 4 door R34!

Hi Paul,

I'm currently 3/4 through the process of importing a car from Japan to Australia for the first time :)

Feel free to check out my blog for useful information that may help you out through the process.

www.v35skyline.com

Regards,

Sikahalv