SAU Community

Replacing Battery

harrytech

I have just purchased a 2004 Nissan Stagea 350RX and only after 3 days Im having battery trouble. Have purchased a new battery but I am concerned about the factory security. My wifes Nissan Maxima early model, if you remove the battery and then replace it the horns go off and it takes a while to reset everything. What is the process for a Stagea. It has the keyless entry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, really like the car pretty quick for a big wagon.

Cheers Harry

Best thing to do is keep power to the car while swapping the battery. If you have an older battery around and some jumper leads, just hook them up, keeping the negative on the engine somewhere and being extra careful with the positive while removing and replacing the battery, don't let it touch the chassis of the car at any stage.

You can also get those 9v battery ciggie lighter plugs but they are very hit n miss and won't always work - your ignition key will need to be in acc position and having something on in the car will kill the small battery very quickly.

I have a homemade contraption thats similar to the 9v thingo but made from an old phone charger with extended leads and alligator clips, allows me to replace batteries without any issues

Not sure if it matters how quick you do the change over, but I don't exactly work quick and I didn't have any issues when I replaced my battery a while ago. Everything worked fine afterwards. I have the smart key and the additional security system.

I did replace the battery with a Bosch battery which looked identical to the unbranded Japanese battery it replaced, so the install was fairly straight forward.

I had to replace the battery on my PNM35 (2004) the day that I picked it up from the depot.

Stopped in to get fuel as the tank was empty and it wouldn't start again.

No issues with the transponder or anything else for that matter (I also have Nissan's security system). No need to keep power to the car.

Feel free to take your time.

90% of the time a straight swap is fine. only time you have issues is with radio codes (not popular anymore and i havent really seen them on imports)... or when the car has an old alarm that has not been used for years and the remotes have been lost, and the alarm decides to re-activate itself. some cars can also lock the doors when power is reconnected, sucks when the keys are inside and windows are up, but this is very rare