SAU Community

Walbro 460lph Will It Hold 400awkw

Just about ready to have my final tune in a few weeks on a Nitto 3.2 stroker build, I have a Walbro 460lph fuel pump and was wondering if it will be enough to handle around 400awkw, this will be a torquey car

I have decided to change the injectors to ID 1300CC before the tune and running a PT 6262 CEA turbo.

I have looked around but could not find any info on this combo, I am sure it would be better with 2 X 460lph but not sure to do it before the build or wait and see how it goes ?

On 98, easy

On E85, 400kw is not really an issues, there has been a few that have gone 450rwkws with a single 460, just make sure the power supply to the pump is beefed up, this needs to be done when ever a Walbro is fitted

i run a high amp alternator that required a extra 4g cable directly from alternator to the battery and i tapped a line off that through a relay directly to the tank lid and a new earth from lid to chassis, but then i run a 460 as a lift pump and a Weldon 2025a under the car from the surge tank as a main pump

Good choice on the 1300s, i have them in my car

• Like 1

On 98, easy

On E85, 400kw is not really an issues, there has been a few that have gone 450rwkws with a single 460, just make sure the power supply to the pump is beefed up, this needs to be done when ever a Walbro is fitted

i run a high amp alternator that required a extra 4g cable directly from alternator to the battery and i tapped a line off that through a relay directly to the tank lid and a new earth from lid to chassis, but then i run a 460 as a lift pump and a Weldon 2025a under the car from the surge tank as a main pump

Good choice on the 1300s, i have them in my car

Thanks Mick

I will fire an email off tomorrow and ask them if they beefed it up when they installed it. If not I will get them to do it.

He did say the 460 would make it difficult to get more out of the tune, I thought the Sard 700CC injectors that are in the car would be something that would stop them from getting a better result than the pump , but?

The 460 Can handle your power requirements quite well. Ensure you have good wiring going to the fuel pump lid as I have seem some 460's burn through the stock wires due to the high current output on the 460 .

I hope you have considered a surge tank and feed pump/s on top of the lift pump as well, if not it might be better to get this all sorted before you go for the final tune of the build. Personally if I just did a new engine rebuild I would do new fuel lines and everything while there before final tune.

Good choice on removing the Sard 700cc's for the ID 1300cc's. They should hold 400awkw on E85 (if that is what you are using) but I thought the duty cycle would be fairly high though. 98 would have no issues with either.

• Like 1

I had better make sure this is wired up properly to handle the higher current.

I do not have E85 in my area, thought I would get it done to handle it should it become available or if I am in Newcastle or anywhere they sell it so I can try it and get a feel for it, supposed to be better all round for the motor as well.

As I do not want to leave the car in Sydney again after waiting for 5 months to get it back, so I will not do anything extra at this time BUT there are a few blokes closer to home that can do the other work when I decide if I want to.

I could do that work after the tune, would it have to be tuned again. I would think it would still be OK on the original tune ??

You can, but honestly after doing a fresh rebuild, especially a 3.2L stoker, getting it done correctly the first time and setup with the surge tank will aid in getting the optimal final tune for your ride.

I'd personally wait the extra to have it all done and ready to drive away.

If you are running flex fuel sensor then your ecu can handle e85 being put in the car at any time as it modifies the maps based on ethanol/octane content.

Sorry Pete but that has to be done before tune or will need a retune, i found this out the hard way when i fitted a Walbro 255 to my 32 and it ran out of fuel on the dyno then when i rewired it and put it back on the dyno it was excessively rich

You can, but honestly after doing a fresh rebuild, especially a 3.2L stoker, getting it done correctly the first time and setup with the surge tank will aid in getting the optimal final tune for your ride.

I'd personally wait the extra to have it all done and ready to drive away.

If you are running flex fuel sensor then your ecu can handle e85 being put in the car at any time as it modifies the maps based on ethanol/octane content.

I know you are right but I cannot leave the car again for a while, want the injectors done, tuned and drive it for a while. It will not be flogged so should be OK.It will give me a chance to find someone local that can do some work should I need it.

There is a shop in Port Macquarie that should be able to do this work. Maybe even my mechanic here can do it as he has been racing and modifying his own cars for years, I am going to drop in there tomorrow and speak to him about this as I have never asked him before.

Have the Haltech ECU Platinum Pro R34GTR and Flex Fuel Sensor on the car already and it will be getting tuned in with E85 , so I can use any % of 98 and E85.

Sorry Pete but that has to be done before tune or will need a retune, i found this out the hard way when i fitted a Walbro 255 to my 32 and it ran out of fuel on the dyno then when i rewired it and put it back on the dyno it was excessively rich

Shit, I will make sure the wiring is OK before the tune, I think they could do that quickly, if I have to wait one more day I guess I will have to but I will stay in Sydney. If I need the other work done later, then tune it again :(

Doesn't have to be a crazy gauge on the wiring, but you want it to do the job. The workshop building the motor should be capable of doing it easily. Just need the wiring sorted with a relay before the pump and a good earth to the chassis.

Doesn't have to be a crazy gauge on the wiring, but you want it to do the job. The workshop building the motor should be capable of doing it easily. Just need the wiring sorted with a relay before the pump and a good earth to the chassis.

The shop may have done this already, they do this type of work all the time and if the wiring is a problem for the build you would think it would be a "MUST DO" mod for the pump.

I am sending them an email right now just to make sure it was not missed when the pumps were changed.

Just gotta luv SAU, somewhere for people like me to get help,thanks guys :wub:

• Like 1

No problem mate. Just looking out for you and your awesome build =). Wouldn't want to see anything like that potentially happen to my own gtr.

Thanks, I am worried with the water lose I am having but that seems to be, sort of OK and I do not want anything else happening that can be stopped with a little effort and I appreciate any support I can get and it is free :)

See some blokes come on SAU and ask a question and do not want to listen to the answers. If you have a heap of blokes saying "don't do it " there must be a reason..

I must admit, I listen to like minded blokes that have similar results that I want , BUT there seems more than one way to get there. I have not seen another car with the same bolt on mods, some are there because I already just bought them and thought I might as well leave them on and see how it goes. I might get lucky as I put these mods on the car chasing some response from a very laggy car, all good so far :)

I emailed the builder this morning and asked if the wiring to the pump had been done before and if not, do it before the tune.

All the best mate and hopefully it all goes well and you get the results you wanted with the final tune. Sounds like you have been waiting quite a while to get the car back and keen to take it for a nice drive.

The 3.2L should bring quite a bit of a kick on the low end with the amount of torque it will have and the PT 6262 should flow quite well and bring up the response of the car quite significantly.

It drives pretty good now, so different down low, starting to feel like the type of a car I enjoy driving and I reckon with the cams dialed in and a bit of boost it will be great. I think the custom cams 260 10.8 with a sharp ramp rate will give it a bit more punch than the Poncams B. 260 9.15

Even now you can notice the work I had done on the drive train when you drive it around some twisty stuff, feels more balanced and planted, if you know what I mean ?