SAU Community

Jap Char for "rice"

jaqule

Can anyone find my a decent pic of the Japanese Character for "rice"

I have been searching for hours , and have narrowed it down to 3-4 characters , want to get it right , please help.! :D

gohan does mean 'rice', but it also has a 'meal' connotation. It also specifically means 'boiled rice'. Gohan is two kanji too, though the first kanji (written as hiragana above) isn't what I'd consider to be basic kanji.

the first thing that popped into my head when I read the OP, was kome

I'll go see if I can google up an image

that one worked better :D

should be phonetically read as koh-meh

below it are various readings for it: kunyomi - japanese derived readings, and the onyomi - chinese derived readings (different readings are used for different kanji combinations, etc).

kome can be used for rice that you are eating, the sack of rice you are buying at the supermarket, or the rice growing in the field. It often has the honorific 'o' attached to it (ie: okome).

The correct way to write it is

1. short top left stroke

2. short top right stroke

3. horizontal stroke

4. vertical stroke

5. long bottom left stroke

6. long bottom right stroke

What I find ironic about this kanji - is that it is also the kanji for 'america' ...america is katakana-ized as 'amerika', but the kanji-fied version is 'beikoku' = the kanji above + 'nation' kanji (koku/kuni). I've been told it has to do with the sound of the kanji - nothing to do with the concept of 'rice country' - but I'm strongly of the belief that 'rice' (in car terms), is an american phenomenon, and just something the japanese copy and get blamed for (I'm sure some of the other sau japan locals will agree).

owned: on paper, performance-wise, the JDM version I-III FDs (mine is a II) are pretty much on par with an r32 GTR (0-100 and 400m are very close). Though they are world's apart to drive - obviously rwd for a start - far less driver assistance ('pure sports' is the term often bandied about), very light (mine is 1260kg, some are a touch lighter), 50:50 weight. I love hammering a high-powered 4wd turbo around in the wet - but on a dry track - it doesn't come close to the adrenalin rush of the twin turbo rotary... which never seems to run out of power and just loves screaming high revs - combine that with arguably the best rwd chassis to ever come out of japan...

Power delivery is quite different, the lack of torque w/ rotary is one criticism that has been made - but when you are going 0-100 in under 5 seconds - I have to say "ahh... who cares, goodbye!". I do prefer to drive the ej20t powered forester around in traffic though (it's a more liveable beast in most ways).

DaiOni

Thankyou very much , good research

You will see what you have done in a couple of weeks , I sure you will like it !!!

Thanks again

Jaqule

ご飯 - gohan
Jeez Merli, you flunked Japanese 1.01 didn't ya? :P

Gohan - cooked rice

Kome - 米 - rice (uncooked, like in a bag)

Edit: Holy shit... I was a bit late in replying wasn't I? Whadda tool! :Oops:

btw, have fun with the new ride :rofl: where's the thread??
Mada mada... ;)

Actually, the car hasn't been signed over to me yet, and theres still some things to fix up on it (right Troy?) before I pick it up... I'll have a thread up at the beginning of August. We'll be heading over to the Pokka 1000km Taikyu race in August in convoy too, should be good.

Jeez Merli, you flunked Japanese 1.01 didn't ya? ;)

Gohan - cooked rice

Kome - 米 - rice (uncooked, like in a bag)

Edit: Holy shit... I was a bit late in replying wasn't I? Whadda tool! :Oops:

It's been a while since I've had to speak japanese :)

And I don't think I ever learn't the word for "uncooked rice in a bag" :rofl:fawk.gif