SAU Community

Drivers Seat Height In V35

Hey folks,

I have a 2001 V35, with a sunroof. I'm also 198cm tall.

Since the sunroof opens internally, the roof liner is quite a bit lower in the sunroof model than the non sunroof model. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to lower the seat lower than what the electronic controls will do it? (So I'm thinking take the drivers seat out and remove some spacers or something or take it into the local Nissan dealer and see if they can change the seat runners for something else).

Has anyone had this issue before and come up with a solution? I'd only need 1-2cm more room. I fit in it fine after work, just in the morning I'm slightly taller and it makes my head brush against the sunroof surround ;(

no spacers to be removed and I doubt a nissan dealer would be interested in doing anything for you, especially being an import.

I think the options would be to have aftermarket seats fitted, or take it to an auto upholsterer and see if the can remove some of the foam padding in the seat base.

Edited by sonicii

I have the same problem in my V36 with the sunroof.

I have my seat tilted back so I can fit.

I did think about getting someone to do a custom job of lowering it. But money

If you've got a V36 then you can lower the original seat slightly :) I did this soon after I got mine as I'm ~192cm and have a sunroof. This is the guide I used.

V36 seat height/adjustment mod

Just had a quick search and found this one for the V35. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like you can get quite as much extra adjustment from dong it in the V35.

V35 seat height/adjustment mod - Look for post by GWord256 (#44) on page 3.

If you've got a V36 then you can lower the original seat slightly :) I did this soon after I got mine as I'm ~192cm and have a sunroof. This is the guide I used.

V36 seat height/adjustment mod

Thanks Heaps.

Mine was a little different. I didn't have that thick metal washer. Only had the rubber and the one with the lip. But i replaced the the other thin one that had the lip on it with a flat skinnier one and wound the nut back so it was just on.

Got a little more room for my head so im happy.

Thanks for that Fri_33! I'll have to try that next week :D (out of town for the rest of this week).

I couldn't work out a google term to find anything useful (including 'I don't fit in my V35 Skyline!'), but I recalled reading something about it being possible when I was first looking at getting the car, but hadn't been able to find where.

No probs, hopefully you can get some more room. Us tall guys have to stick together and try to sort out these issues. I ended up with custom rails in the R33 to get as much room as I could after trying a bunch of different seats :)

I forgot to mention mine is a coupe and I assume all the things I posted are for a coupe also. I don't know if sedans differ.

The only thing I would probably like is to get the steering wheel a little closer to me now. I haven't actually looked to see if there is a similar mod that can be done with that. I'm a little more cautious of messing with the steering wheel. Would have for shafts to disconnect or wires strip from it moving too far. I figure it works in a similar way with the steering wheel with the steering shaft having a spline to allow it to go in and out.

Mine is a sedan, but in one of those links was a series of pictures taken looking through an open back door, so it must work for the sedan too. That was something that I did like about my old Toyota Mark II (Chaser, x90), the steering wheel went up/down/back/forward and could pop up out of the way when you got in and out.

I also find it a bit odd that the instrument cluster moves with the steering wheel in the V35.

So, I've done it. In theory it works, but now rather than the seat hitting a stopper, it now hits against the left hand runner and can't go any lower on the left, but the right keeps going down. I've got maybe 1/2 a cm extra, if that.

• 2 weeks later...

Surely you would have sat in the car and tested everything before you bought it. So it's pretty much your own fault

Really?? Ever imported a car before?? Hard to sit in it when it is in Japan... I didn't realise mine had a sunroof until it got here. Pictures and description didn't reveal it. If it didn't have the sunroof, no problem.

• Like 1