SAU Community

R34 Rough Idle - Help!

Wordsmith

I had misfires and pulled error code 21 from my N/A R34, so I got a set of Splitfires and a mate came round to help me install them. When we put it all back together and gave it a crank, the engine ran very rough, it was honestly much worse after swapping the coils than before, completely undriveable. There was a loud popping noise coming from the intake manifold, a strong smell of fuel and smoke from the exhaust and after I moved the car back into the garage I noticed that there was a puddle of coolant underneath where the car had been parked.

My mate reckoned the intake gasket was cooked, which made sense because when we opened up the intake manifold earlier in the day the gasket looked out of shape and it was difficult to fix the manifold back in place since the gasket wouldn't line up and one of the nails was threaded.

Edited by Wordsmith

I had misfires and pulled error code 21 from my N/A R34, so I got a set of Splitfires and a mate came round to help me install them. When we put it all back together and gave it a crank, the engine ran very rough, it was honestly much worse after swapping the coils than before, completely undriveable. There was a loud popping noise coming from the intake manifold, a strong smell of fuel and smoke from the exhaust and after I moved the car back into the garage I noticed that there was a puddle of coolant underneath where the car had been parked.

My mate reckoned the intake gasket was cooked, which made sense because when we opened up the intake manifold earlier in the day the gasket looked out of shape and it was difficult to fix the manifold back in place since the gasket wouldn't line up and one of the nails was threaded.

That's a cool story.

Perhaps you did something that caused that to happen? Why did you pull the intake manifold? What the hell is a nail in relation to the intake manifold?

That's a cool story.

Perhaps you did something that caused that to happen? Why did you pull the intake manifold? What the hell is a nail in relation to the intake manifold?

You have to take it off to get easy access to where the coils are. Don't think there could be any other reason, unless there's a hose unplugged. I ask because I can't drive it to the shop the way its running.

So I got the a second hand gasket for $10 today at Skyline Works in Fairfield. The old one as you can see was pretty worse for wear

JiRG997.jpg

A couple of mates swung by to lend me a hand, we put the gasket in, sealed it up and now the car is running beautifully. Better than ever with the new Splitfires!