SAU Community

Rs4s No Start, No Engine Light, Ticking From Left Kick Panel?

BR11GY

Hi Guys,

After 7 years of trouble free motoring my C34 decided to not start yesterday. I noticed a fast tick sound when I turned on the ignition and the motor would crank but she wouldn't fire. After trying a couple of times I noticed the engine light was not on.

After waiting around for 10min I decided to give it a go. I turned the ignition on, the ticking/buzzing came back for a few seconds then the engine light flicked on with the rest of the light and BOOM she started.

I got it home and same thing, a buzzing sound from somewhere in the passenger area, no engine light, no start.

To me it seems like the ECU is not getting power and it may be a relay issue but I am not sure where its located or what in the front passenger area could be causing that noise. its too coincidental for them not too be linked.

If anyone can help me out with some diagrams or location of relays that would be awesome!

Well you are probably on the right track.

It sounds like the starter motor is working OK because you said the engine turned so no need to worry about it, battery etc.

Both the ECU and the ECCS relay (blue I think) that turns the ECU on are in the passenger kick panel so you could start by pulling it off and checking that out. The buzzing sound could be a dead or dying relay but generally they either just stop working or jam on all the time.

But also, do you have a factory and/or aftermarket immobiliser? That is a more likely place to fail. What happens when you turn the key from off to IGN, do you get all the usual lights on the dash?

Yes all the normal lights on the dash. I don't think mine has a factory immobilizer. There are no flashing lights when the car is locked.

Take the panel off the LH side panel and have a listen to see if you can hear where the clicking is coming from. Check that the plug is secure in the ecu. The ecu has to come out to get access to some stuff behind it.