SAU Community

33GTR whiteline handling kit info

I ordered the whiteline handling kit + front camber kit

Just spoke to my mechanic who is fitting it today, he said the swaybars don't look any different to the stock ones, except they are silver and have 2 settings... is this normal? not meant to be thicker/stronger or is it stronger/stiffer but just not visably noticable?

Should i be putting both on the stiffer setting?

he also said all my existing bushes seem to be in good condition, nothing wrong with them which is good, but is replacing them with the whiteline supplied ones anyway.

I ordered the whiteline handling kit + front camber kit

Just spoke to my mechanic who is fitting it today, he said the swaybars don't look any different to the stock ones, except they are silver and have 2 settings... is this normal? not meant to be thicker/stronger or is it stronger/stiffer but just not visably noticable?

Should i be putting both on the stiffer setting?

he also said all my existing bushes seem to be in good condition, nothing wrong with them which is good, but is replacing them with the whiteline supplied ones anyway.

Yes they don't look VERY different. They are however solid and have the settings and the GTR ones are hollow. When your mechanic takes the standard ones out hold them both to notice the difference. However, you can get even more solid/stiffer ones from Japan ......

The settings you should use depend on how you want the car to handle. I had both settings set to hard and the car would understeer to no end. Since then I have softened the front sway bar and without going to the track, it does seem more towards neutral/oversteer.

Let me know how you go with the front camber as I will be getting it done soon.

Ahh ok thats what i wanted to hear, just to make sure i wasn't getting ripped or something :D

So you recon the softer in the front, and harder setting in the back?

Did you notice it much when you got it done from the standard swaybars? ie will i even notice?

will do about the front camber kit

You WILL notice the difference! Car sits more flat and feels more inviting.

Play around with the settings. Every driver has their own driving style and some may prefer the car to understeer.... but secretly we all love oversteer. :D

Play around with the settings. Every driver has their own driving style

Agree, that why I bought adjustables stabiliser bars, so I could set it up the way I like it. There is no right or wrong, it's whatever YOU like, so don't be afraid to play around with the settings. :D

But isn't there only 2 settings on the swaybars? so there is only 4 combinations?

hard/hard

hard/soft

soft/hard

soft/soft

?

don't really like understeer

But isn't there only 2 settings on the swaybars? so there is only 4 combinations?

hard/hard

hard/soft

soft/hard

soft/soft

?

don't really like understeer

Nope, there are 3 settings on each bar, so that's 9 possible combinations.

If we call the outer (softer) holes on the front bar F1, the inner (harder) hole on the front bar F2. The outer hole on the rear is then R1 and the inner hole R2.

The possible combinations are;

F1, F1 and R1, R1 (soft front/soft rear)

F1, F1 and R1, R2 (soft front/medium rear)

F1, F1 and R2, R2 (soft front/hard rear)...sounds like a girl I knew once.... :wassup:

F1, F2 and R1, R1 (medium front/soft rear)

F1, F2 and R1, R2 (medium front/medium rear)

F1, F2 and R2, R2 (medium front/hard rear)

F2, F2 and R1, R1 (hard front/soft rear)

F2, F2 and R1, R2 (hard front/medium rear)

F2, F2 and R2, R2 (hard front/hard rear)

Since F1,F2 is the same antiroll rate as F2,F1, to include them would be duplicative. Ditto R1,R2 and R2,R1.

That's more than enough to keep you busy choosing you personal favourite :P

Ahhhh ok didn't realise you could match up 1 side of the bar on the hard setting other on the soft for a medium setting - i havent seen the bar.. but that makes sense.. thanks SK :P

at the moment i think they are fitted on softest setting front and rear, and it seems a little better, bit more responsive to my actions, but may just be placebo effect

EVL R33:

$950 ordered from whiteline for the handling kit + front camber kit (handling kit doesn't come with one) delivered to Melbourne.. no discounts or anything - if you know someone in hte WRX club they should be able to get you 10% off.

I'm getting my mechanic whos a friend to fit it at his workshop, so no idea on cost, i don't ask since

1. as long as he does it right/good job not fussed if he charges more than others

2. he generally charges me less for work than most shops would charge the public.

he said swaybars and castor kit was easy.. said looks like there is a bit of work with the camber kits (he has'nt fitted them yet)

the kit comes with brand new bushes as well.

hope that helps :)

PS. nice car, i want your hid lights ... and your power :D wanna swap? :)

Whaaa?? SAU has no Discount with Whiteline??? I'm sure this club has spent PLENTY of dollars with them!!! Least they could do is offer a discount....

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'm keen to hear your opinion once it's all in. What shocks/springs you using currently? So is it worth the 1k for what the handling kit supplies or could you do it cheaper buying the bits seperate from different shops?

I was told there is no camber adjustment on the rear of 33 GTRs, and that my camber was way too much. Does the whitline kit fix this?

Cheers dude, sounds like your car will be an awesome machine when you are done, go the Purple GTR's... ha ha ha

BTW, I dont' have HID lights, and I thought you had similar power to me??

Damn i could of maybe asked someone from SAUNSW to order it for me, or joined with the money i would of saved.

When i ordered i asked them about a discount since i was a member of skylines australia etc.. they said 'only affiliated clubs' damn :D I had just put new tyres on so couldn't really stuff around, need to get my camber fixed before it eats my tyres...

looking at invoice

680+GST for handling pack

152+gst for front camber kit

33 freight

when sauvic starts i'm sure we could sort something out with them for a discount much like saunsw

Yeah no camber adjustment on the rear of my car i was told... and im running about -2 deg.. want to bring it back to about -1...

front i was running over -2.5... that really screwed my last set of tyres.. want to bring that back to -1.5.... -2... around there... and rotate wheels every 5,000ks

Looking at this photo EVL:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/photopost.../cat/500/page/1

they looked like Xenons to me... opps, but looking again now, maybe not...

One of your other photos has the title - "PAS Dyno 421 @ all 4 " thought that was KW? I'm only running ~260rwkw (nonshootout)

So far with the front and rear sway bars on soft setting i think it feels a little beter, car seems to be sitting flatter in the corners... but need to wait till i get it on the track again.

Is your car ready yet merli? i'm keen on the GTSS's pending how your car comes out :)

My car is being tuned as we speak :) It *should* be ready tomorrow...

Then I have to pound out a few thousand kms, and then take it back for final tuning and power runs :)

225awkw @ 11psi... Wastegate pressure, that's as little as she'll make :Oops:

I'd prefer the ability to make less power for snow driving and stuff, but apparently setting the wastegate pressure higher helps boost control up top when we wind her out to 24-25psi...

So that's all I have to play with for the next week or so :):D :D