SAU Community

Bloody Cops

Late wednesday night,

Took a drive to me work in fyshwick to drop off a letter... Just a quite easy drive with one of me mates... As i was coming into fyshwick under Canberra Av bridge, theres a rough intersection and my car has slightly skipped accross the road, As you do i held it a lil, gave it some and came out a lil sideways....

1sec later a cop car pulls me over... Busts me for Neg drivin, Driving a Manual with Auto licence (had for 2 1/2 yrs) which is ment to convert over after 12months, and also gets me for not displayin P's.....

Outcome... Lost me licence(all points), couple of warnings, and told me i cant drive my MANUAL car anymore, unless i go for a driving test....

What do we all think of this???

dont mean to be an arsehole about it mate, but if you accept fault for coming out of that corner a bit sideways, and you got done, then that's understandable.

on the thing about the auto licence, i should go do mine soon, i've been told they switch it over for free.

how long til you can get the licence back? my bet, take it on the chin and do the test, no point crying further over spilt milk

Late wednesday night,

Took a drive to me work in fyshwick to drop off a letter... Just a quite easy drive with one of me mates... As i was coming into fyshwick under Canberra Av bridge, theres a rough intersection and my car has slightly skipped accross the road, As you do i held it a lil, gave it some and came out a lil sideways....

1sec later a cop car pulls me over... Busts me for Neg drivin, Driving a Manual with Auto licence (had for 2 1/2 yrs) which is ment to convert over after 12months, and also gets me for not displayin P's.....

Outcome... Lost me licence(all points), couple of warnings, and told me i cant drive my MANUAL car anymore, unless i go for a driving test....

Hard luck mate, that's no good.

The other two guys have a point, you chose to do it, wear it.

As for the Auto/Manual thing, i am in the same boat. Been on full licence for almost 6 months now, and when i got that they didn't change it either. Always wondered what would happen if i ever got pulled over...

Anyway, that's no good you've lost your licence and all, but you've gotta wear the consequences for your actions. Not trying to be harsh here either. Sorry if it comes across that way.

Yea, understand what you guys are saying.... I admit yea it was a stupid thing... But for that one second i did someting stupid, they were there........ Why aren't the out catchin the "real" bad guys....

Bout my licence ive been told now that i can just do my P OFF course and ill get some more points, which should save me my licence.. So HAPPY about that..

yeah cops always seem to be around when u do something ur not supposed to!!!

in relation to the P off course, then yes you can do it and save your lisence. i have.

basically they hold them every month i think, its $66 and you sit in a room with bout 10other people and smile and nod about the dangers of alcahol and dangerous driving. after 3hours you get a certificate saying you completed it etc etc. and in a few weeks you will get ur 4points back, simply say you cant pay the fine, ask for a few months extension, (they will grant it) and as soon as u get ur 4 points then pay the fine.

i would have lost my lisence, (doing 125 in an 80zn with 2 passengers) i was lucky cause i was backing off 150kms. anyway i did the Poff course, got an extension, lost my 4 points but already got 4 back so i still have my full 4 points.

anyway its ghey u got done, and im not gonna say how dumb it was cause we all know it is but we all give it a bit now and then its just crap u got done.

good luck with the P off and bad luck on getting shafted, seems like u pissed him off by getting it sideways and he went to town on you. usually the way

When I first got my p's (I'm on a full license now) I only had an auto license. Just before I bought my skyline (just over a year ago) I went in to the government shop front and asked them to take the automatic condition off my license.

I called up the dickson motor reg before hand and they told me as long as I've had my p's for 12 months I can get the automatic condition taken off. There was no charge.

May as well do it, it takes about 30 mins out of your lunch hour...

Well....i 'do' work just down the road from Dickson Motor Reg...so i guess it's not too hard. Although my lunch break is 8pm :)

Maybe i stop in before work one afternoon

Late wednesday night,

Sorry to differ with many of you on this but I think you can take them on to a point concerning the auto/manual thing and the neg driving. As for the Ps sorry but they gotcha on that one.

Why not find out what neg driving constitutes. Who is to say (unless you were seriously hanging it out) that the rough intersection didn't cause or at least contribute to the loss of traction? Particularly if it was wet enough to bog a duck at the time? And you had a witness in the car with you?

As for the auto manual licence, if it was/is supposed to be changed by the RTA and wasn't (as evidence in another thread here suggests has happened before) due to administrative oversight, the cops don't have a leg to stand on.

Don't just accept this treatment. If you're caught and dead-wrong for doing something then accept it, but if not find out your rights and tackle the bastards on it. Too often they rely on bluff and intimidation and aren't well informed anyway; they need to know that if they make a call that's bad it'll come back to them.

There is always a happy story from these 'bad cop' ones. I just [5minutes ago] left a cop who had pulled me over for doing in excess of 150kmh down the parkway.

He was a sargent, old man. Gave me a talk of how its bad to speed, 'though from the looks of your car, its built for it...' 'I dont care what you do in the dry, just dont let me see those types of speeds in the wet ok?'

God love him.

On a whole, the police in Canberra are pretty good.

I can certainly say that I haven't had a bad exprience with one, and the times that I have been pulled over and had a talking to, I deserved it.

But like everything else in the world, there are good ones and bad ones.

J

I assume you were just checking to see if your speed limiter was still there, hey? :):D

I've been stopped on a routine inspection. Walked around my car, looked at the tyres, lights etc etc... They then asked for my license. Silly me, forgot my wallet at home on this particular day but I didn't realise it until I started checking all my pockets. After about 2 minutes of telling the officer "I'm sure it's in here somewhere" in my laptop bag he said, "I believe you" and let me go.

There is always a happy story from these 'bad cop' ones. I just [5minutes ago] left a cop who had pulled me over for doing in excess of 150kmh down the parkway.  

Not so for me. Same thing, forgot my Wallet. I could quote my DLN and everything from it, but didn't have it on me. Had to go present it to a Police Station within 3 days. I get there and the guy at the desk laughs pretty much, and says i didn't need to...i was a little baffled...but anyway.

Love not being on Ps anymore, that day of difference between Ps and Full licence seems to graduate you from hoon to part of the rest of the road goiung public. At least in some eyes anyway. Same as the legal drinking age.

i scored my licence on the old NSW system. i only had my P's for 9 months care of points lost being greater than points owned. then i got my full licence when i was 18. i understand why they make you have your P's until you're 20 now.

lol i only had mine for like 8months (display) and it makes a huge difference without P's on ur car, cops just assume ur a normal driver and leave u alone, i can honestly say i have really only had good experience with cops in canberra, alot of it ids because of the way i treat them, (very polite, call them sir, hand over lisence b4 they ask. etc) and they have been wonderfull with me.

i have been let of for speeding through a red light, continuing to speed, then taking the racing line through a round about 100mtrs further up.

mainly because i was honestly sorry that i did it and couldnt stop apologising, so he let me go.

when the cops busted us out at the garage titan cruise i was very angry cause we were just chatting in a secluded carpark, but other than that they r fine in canb.

wat makes me mad is wen im doing something bad i get let off and wen im being good i get done got pulled over the other nite cop saw me sideways up the road in the wet twice so he pulled me over said have u been drinking with breath tester in his hand i said yes but i should be right to drive i blew he looked for a bit then said take off this was good but another time got done for no indicator $127 + 2 points and i was being good

then the 2 cancel themselves out, what r u complaining about?

lets see: no indicator= 2points and small fine

Sideways twice in the wet= should equal about $300 and 3-4pts.

i'd take what u got and smile.

when it comes down to it, i'd take canberra cops over probably any in ausrtalia, they r mostly good to import owners and arent ticket nazis, imagine living in vic? most of us would be scared to take our cars off private property.

even when i got done for gassing it down the parkway, the 2cops that were there both agreed to downgrade the speed (by about 5kms) to save me going into the next fine bracket, they saved me another 2points and over $500!!!!